OSI Quad or Quad Max, or does it matter?

For those self-installers
eddieE

OSI Quad or Quad Max, or does it matter?

#1 Post by eddieE »

Hi,

I know OSI quad and quad max is highly recommended here. If you use Quad Max on the blind stops and on the exterior part of the window to seal it, is that going to make it permanent? In other words I have heard the quad max is like an adhesive and bonds very strongly. What happens if you have to pull the window at some point? Can you do that if you use Quad Max?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: OSI Quad or Quad Max, or does it matter?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Plenty of adhesion in Quad by itself. Never needed the additional to be honest with you.

eddieE

#3 Post by eddieE »

Windows on Washington wrote:Plenty of adhesion in Quad by itself. Never needed the additional to be honest with you.
So if you use quad or quad max, can you take out the window in the future for whatever reason or does it become such a strong bond that you can't take it out?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You can. Just need to count on a brand new utility blade and a good bit of work on cutting it out.

eddieE

#5 Post by eddieE »

Thanks. I tell you my caulking is UGLY. And of course you can't tool this stuff, so if you look close it looks like a 4 yr old did it.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Pros can tool Quad, however it requires some special techniques and all kinds of "tricks." It's not fun that's for sure, I have only one premium brand of wipes that removes that stuff within reason. I've not been able to justify the additional fee of the max over the regular stuff. I sure like the removable nozzles though and the plastic tube. Quad Max if ran as too small of a bead, or over tooled will shrink and separate just like regular Quad. The appeal of Quad is for it's huge library of colors for siding and trim coils. It doesn't get super dirty fast like silicone, thus white caulking which is most poplar will stay cleaner in general over time. Quad also has a very heavy body to it which is nice for running brick masonry returns and lapping of older aluminum siding that was installed without j-channel back in the day.