Need 3 Simonton Install Tips (Gaps + Caulk Type + Foam Wrap)

For those self-installers
InfoSponge

Need 3 Simonton Install Tips (Gaps + Caulk Type + Foam Wrap)

#1 Post by InfoSponge »

I'm installing some white vinyl replacement windows into brick openings in a house of mine next week. I'm not a professional window installer, but I want to give it a try, and I'll have some help from someone who has installed windows several times.

What kind of caulk do you guys recommend for durability and looks? Is a clear paintable acrylic/latex/silicone mix like DAP Alex Ultra for windows OK? Or would you use white? Or pure silicone?

Also, what is the best thing to use to fill the small gap behind the the brick veneer all around the window frame.

The Simonton windows will come with a foam wrap. Is it a good idea to go ahead and use it or rip it off.

dads3boys

#2 Post by dads3boys »

I'm looking to do my own install and have discussed this w/ some folks. A couple of suggestions I've received have been to buy the aluminum sheets that the contractors use to form a new frame around the exterior of the window. Not sure if I want to try to tackle this since I don't have the equipment to do a good looking job. The other is to simply build a small frame around the window with your choice of wood stock.

BTW...who were you able to get the Simonton windows from? So far, haven't found a local contractor (in Northern VA) willing to give them up.

Rob

InfoSponge

#3 Post by InfoSponge »

Check with building supply places if you want to get Simonton windows for self-install. Check in your yellow pages or the Simonton web site to find some options.

I wouldn't recommend trying to bend the aluminum coil manually yourself without a full break machine at your disposal. You might be able to make it look OK, but I kind of doubt it on your first install attempt. Maybe a tool shop would rent you a machine, but I've never seen one for rent around here. My friend happens to have such a machine, so he did that work for me and did a great job.

Some installers will install windows into brick at least without wrap/trim, and secure the window to the frame/studs and then caulk the window frame to the brick. I did this on a few back side windows even though I don't think it is the best/recommended way and definitely does not look as nice as using aluminum wrap, but it seems to work OK if you know its limitations and can make a nice smooth caulk bead with the thicker, more durable outdoor caulks.