Energy Surcharges

A place to talk about the Window Industry
Cheryl

Energy Surcharges

#1 Post by Cheryl »

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Does anyone know of any window manufacturers that are now adding energy surcharges to their pricing? All glass suppliers have been doing this for some time, but now it has gotten even worse. For example, just today I had a supplier raise their prices 10% and on top of that added a 12% energy surcharge. Another did the same last month, but in that case it was 12% increase plus 12% surcharge on top of that. All inbound freight energy surcharges have risen again as well. Look out folks, with the price of oil as it is, something is coming, if not past due.

We are seeing both manufacturers and dealers closing their doors here out West, forced out by skyrocketing prices for materials and energy costs. Consumers have suffered from this too, and those that are still in the market for windows aren't willing to pay more. Change is in the wind.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Energy Surcharges

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

A couple of my window suppliers have been charging me an energy surcharge for well over a year. One of my main brands has just stopped providing shipping altogether and we now have to pay the common carrier freight bill collect upon delivery. I figure a large shipment will cost me about $25 per window, more for smaller shipments.
My business volume has been down this year from last year's numbers, but I have to believe as folks get closer to winter they are going to start panicking and buying energy efficient products as they realize the cost of heating their homes will be way up this winter too.