APPOINTMENT CANCELLATIONS---anyone else getting hit?

A place to talk about the Window Industry
advanced_energy

APPOINTMENT CANCELLATIONS---anyone else getting hit?

#1 Post by advanced_energy »

i had 3 cancellations(appointments) so far this week. that is a record. anyone else experiencing similar luck? i am getting down about it.

Windows on Washington

Re: APPOINTMENT CANCELLATIONS---anyone else getting hit?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Maybe a bit more than normal. It is good that people are being more conservative with their money right now and we, as contractors, should not push people into something they genuinely can't afford.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'm not seeing problems at all. My phones are ringing off the hook and I've been selling lots of windows the last two weeks. I'm getting very optimistic about spring sales, especially with the new tax credit to help make it more affordable.

As a historical check, back in the Carter days around 79-80 during that horrible recession, the window company I worked for actually grew in size. When people decide to stay put and not build a new house, they fix up their old one. And with the state of volatile energy prices what better place for them to put money than into their windows.

Here's to a great spring! :mrgreen:

advanced_energy

#4 Post by advanced_energy »

windows4u
do you feel offering financing helps out alot?

Door&WindowPlus

#5 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I have see a huge increase in business from the tax credit here in Southern California. We sell windows that do qualify and ones that don't. We don't offer financing and it hasn't hurt the company.

Window4U (IL)

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

advanced_energy wrote:windows4u
do you feel offering financing helps out alot?
It doesn't for me in the areas I sell. It could be different elsewhere as the areas I sell in are pretty affluent.
I find that the people who still qualify for credit really aren't swayed by the availability of credit on whether they are or are not going to buy. If they use my credit, it's usually a cash flow convenience.

advanced_energy

#7 Post by advanced_energy »

windows4u
what are some successful ways of advertising? i am just looking for some advice,not feeling too good about this situation.

Window4U (IL)

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

It's only Feb. 25th. It's normal to be dead right now. Give it a few weeks and you'll be feeling better.

As far as advertising, I don't do anything except for what I said before. Most of it like newspaper ads is a waste of money IMO.
I work very hard to get my business but I spend very little to do so.

Ideas for you...
1. Send out a referral plan letter to your past customers (pronto) to reward them handsomely for any spring referrals they can send your way. Each successive referral gets them an even bigger referral fee. After all, wouldn't you rather richly reward your past customers than pay for a newspaper ad that gets you no business? I would.
2. Post free ads on Craigslist in the skilled services. The ads will show up very high in the search engines for searches in your area in a few days. Work it!
3. Join this site's dealer network.
That's all I'm going to give you for free. You'll have to sign up for my $1000 seminar to learn more. :lol:

Just kidding about the seminar. . ...unless of course you want to come to it :oops:

advanced_energy

#9 Post by advanced_energy »

thanks buddy... aside from G.E, who else lets contractors offer revolving credit financing?

Window4U (IL)

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I use Wells Fargo.

advanced_energy

#11 Post by advanced_energy »

you ever try canvassing?

Window4U (IL)

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

advanced_energy wrote:you ever try canvassing?
Yeah, my whole career. It's does a great job of keeping the dirt off the carpet. :P

We used to put door hangers in the blocks around all our jobs but I can't do it myself much anymore as I have problems with my feet because of diabetes. I had good results when we did it though. I should probably get it going again and hire someone to do it for me a few days a week. ...Or I could use QuantumMail.