2009 Stimulus Package - Tax Rebate for Window

A place to talk about the Window Industry
Door&WindowPlus

2009 Stimulus Package - Tax Rebate for Window

#1 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Anyone looking at this stimulus package tax rebate program being voted on?

I just downloaded a copy of the actual bill that was passed by the House today. Senate still has to pass and have President sign into law. It's in the second section of the bill pages 123-127. I got mine copy on foxbusiness

Very confusing when reading the bill. It looks like it could give homeowners tax rebate of $1500 for redoing their windows might have a cap of 30% of project. Dates are December 31, 2008 and prior to January 1, 2011.

Looks like the $200 for windows and $300 for doors tax break for 2009 is totally gone. I wonder what happens to all the customers that already bought their windows and don't meet the new requirements?

New requirements would be:
Qualifying exterior Windows, Doors, Skylights MUST have a U-Factor at or below 0.30 and a seasonal heat gain coefficient (SHGC) at or below 0.30.

The 2009 International Energy Conservation Code is mentioned. No clue what that is. Anyone?

I sell alot of brands here in California and looking at some of them they don't meet these new requirements. Some of my windows will have to now be sold with Superspacer and Argon as well as Low-e366 glass to meet a .30 / .30 requirement. Anyone know if Energy Star will move down their numbers to be on the same level?

Am I reading this right? Do All windows have to meet those numbers throught the United States in order to get the tax rebate? This is big news guys anyone know anything? Do I have to now tell my customers that bought windows last month that they won't get the tax rebate? More news will come out after the President signs the stimulus bill I am sure. Anyone with news regarding this please post it.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: 2009 Stimulus Package - Tax Rebate for Window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

subscribing

Door&WindowPlus

#3 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Looks like it passed.

Some window brands will not qualify for the 0.30 u-factor and 0.30 shgc. I don't think any aluminum windows pass. I think Aluminum Clad windows will have trouble passing. Wood windows might be able to pass. Please help out guys.

I am in California so these are for window brands. East Coast Dealers might list their own brands that pass and don't pass so customers don't miss out on $1500.

Looks like windows with Low-e366 glass and argon will be meeting these numbers. Some will even have to upgrade to superspacer.

California Brands that PASS 0.30 u-factor or better and 0.30 shgc or better
Amerimax - pass only if upgraded to Low-e366 and Argon. Single Hung and French Sliding DO NOT PASS.
Milgard Tuscany/Montecito - pass only if upgraded to Suncoat max, argon and superspacer. Sliding door looks to pass but Milgard is looking into it but will have to have SS, Argon and 366.
Silverline - NEW West Coast Only - pass only if upgraded to Low-e366 and argon.

Brands that Might not pass 0.30 u-factor and 0.30 shgc. Please check these I am getting info from their websites, brochures and nfrc website. Please help me out I can't look all this stuff up in one day.
Amsco - both lines don't look like they pass.
Pella - from their website looks like they dont pass. Maybe a dealer can list which lines pass if any do.
Anderson - someone that is a Anderson dealer needs to call them and see if their lines other than Silverline passes.
Empire Pacific - looks like from their website they don't pass. I called the rep hopefully he will call me back soon.
PlyGem (Certainteed) ???
Simonton ???
Polybau ???
Anlin ???
MI ??
Superior Vinyl Windows ???

I am seeing that alot of my local window companies that are pretty small are not making the qualifications.
Please help out if you know if these windows pass or not for California:
Win-Dor
Danjo
Brothers Home Improvement
Malibu
Value
Bede
California Deluxe

I think companies that pass will be posting this all over their marketing stuff. The ones that don't have to get their windows retested.

Other dealers please help out and list the brands that qualify and ones that don't. I already see window companies advertising the tax credits online but list window brands that don't meet the numbers. I think some dealers will be paying the tax credit out of their pocket if the customer gets audited by the IRS and they lied to the customer to get the job.

Hope this is helping you guys out. See anything wrong please post and I will revise ASAP.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Have you got a link to the Stimulus text?

Thanks

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I am on the West Coast and it looks like it will affect some of my vinyl window brands I sell. We now are putting in a clause in the contract when we sell windows that says if the windows and doors being sold qualify or not for this tax credit. We sell to contractors that do installations for homeowners and don't want homeowners coming back to us for the $1500 later on.

For the guys elsewhere in the United States will it effect you that much? Do most of your window brands meet the new requirements? I really don't know U Factors and SHGC in other parts of the country.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

My top sellers are well within the specs.

I am going to look through the bill for siding and roofing rebates now.

Door&WindowPlus

#8 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Wonder if ClearView or Window World will meet the numbers?

I know Amsco from their own website doesn't meet the numbers?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Does not look like Alside can do it with a double pane argon Excalibur and intercept. Silver line appears to be in the same boat.

Guess that is going to change their marketing strategies a bit.

Door&WindowPlus

#10 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I sell the West Coast Silverline window and it does meet with 366 and argon.

Door&WindowPlus

#11 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Looks like the west coast simonton 7500 double hung with 366, superspacer and argon does not pass.

Also some windows with 1" grids seem not to pass.

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

Most of the Simonton 5500 pass if upgraded to Super Spacer and either 7/8" or 1" glass.

Door&WindowPlus

#13 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Skydawggy wrote:Most of the Simonton 5500 pass if upgraded to Super Spacer and either 7/8" or 1" glass.
Simonton 7500 Double Hung for both 7/8 or 3/4 DO NOT pass even with Super Spacer. This info from Simontons own website under Performance Data.

Skydawggy

#14 Post by Skydawggy »

Door&WindowPlus wrote:
Skydawggy wrote:Most of the Simonton 5500 pass if upgraded to Super Spacer and either 7/8" or 1" glass.
Simonton 7500 Double Hung for both 7/8 or 3/4 DO NOT pass even with Super Spacer. This info from Simontons own website under Performance Data.
That's why I specified the 5500.

windowdude

#15 Post by windowdude »

Guys this is awesome. I just read it and it says the credit is 30% of the total project cost or $1500.00.

Does anyone know if this passed for sure?