A place to talk about the Window Industry
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 pm
what is purpose of adding steel to a vinyl window ?
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:26 am
- Location: Central PA
It's to prevent sagging and provide reinforcement in the vinyl frame, especially in the sash frames at the meeting rail on double-hung windows.
It's used in a lot of vinyl railing, like for decks and porches, too.
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:58 pm
- Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois
jim r wrote:what is purpose of adding steel to a vinyl window ?
It's to prevent deflection of the center rail of the window in the wind.
Windows on Washington
- Posts: 4426
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
- Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Both guys are right. Design Pressure increases and sagging correction if you have a really weak extrusion.
it is an easy way to increase strength in a cheap vinyl extrusion. it is also a way to increase DP ratings for a high quality window. Schuco comes to mind.
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:38 pm
while it is used quite a bit for added strength to vinyl bar. its also used to secure hardware to the vinyl. a lock under pressure would eventually pull loose if it was only screwed into the vinyl...