Alside/AMI

A place to talk about the Window Industry
tmb

Alside/AMI

#1 Post by tmb »

Do I have this correct--AMI is manufactured by Alside?

If so, who is the Head Honcho at Alside?

Windows on Washington

Re: Alside/AMI

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Other way around. Alside under the larger holding company of AMI.

tmb

#3 Post by tmb »

OK, then is it better to direct my situation to AMI or to Alside corporate?

The situation being; our AMI Excallibur windows leak cold air terribly at locking mechanisms, at the rail where the upper & lower sashes meet, at the corners where both upper and lower sashes fit into the frame and up from around the balance systems.

Windows put in July 2004. We purchased home in 2006. Ever since first winter with these windows (2007), have felt this cold air. Original installer only willing to replace weather stripping which I knew form the beginning would not help--and has not.

Local Alside distrib. came out. Showed tech how when lower sash brought down to where it just touches frame, either the left side will show NO light and the righ side will have an opening showing light anywhere from 1/8" to 3/8"; or the same situation if the right side of lower sash meets frame, then left side will be up/open anywhere from 1/8" to a good 3/8". 2 windows have the center of lower sash meeting frame and both sides open.

Tech called his manager and agreed to order one (1) new window and have it installed to see if this solved the problem--feeling it was a manufacturing problem.

That was 28 May 2008!!! I have called several times and left messages about the status of this order and as of yet, NO ONE has returned my call.

So, I've been advised to take my complaint to the corporate office.
That is why I need to know exactly who to contact. I live in NE Ohio.

Thanks.

shamu

#4 Post by shamu »

Seems as if you are not the original purchaser of the windows. Did the warranty transfer to you? If so, the problems you are describing could either be installation (windows installed out of square) or manufacturing (sashes made out of square or bowed). If it is installation related you probably will get no help from Alside/AMI unless they contracted the job out to an installer. Most manufacturers warranties state that they are not responsible for installation issues relating to their products. If you can determine that it is for certain a manufacturing or product defect and you and are still covered by a manufacturers warranty Alside/AMI should be willing to cover the claim. You probably do not need complete windows, only sashes to replace the defective sashes. Check both Alside and Ami's websites for contact information.

tmb

#5 Post by tmb »

Shamu,

We are covered under the warranty (per Alside the first time I called).
As for whether the installer was contracted--not sure.

Do feel there are manufacturing issues here such as locks that so not line up with their counterpart, sashes that can be moved when locked together to name the easy ones.

Question: regarding the 'adjustment screw' found on either side where upper and lower sashes meet; should the backside of this screw be up against something? (would think it should be, otherwise how can it tighten?) None of ours are.

prosteelheader

#6 Post by prosteelheader »

call the head office in coyahoga (i think thats how its spelled) falls, and ask to speak to don brennan. hes the head of engineering.