Is everyone ready for the new lead testing requirements?

A place to talk about the Window Industry
Delaware Mike

Re: Is everyone ready for the new lead testing requirements?

#16 Post by Delaware Mike »

Fhi, that's a pretty good number amount and is about what I came up with also. My class had a total of about 17 guys in it. Only about six of us were window guys and the other guys did pretty much strictly siding installers. The siding guys were in total shock of how much poly they are going to have to put down when they tear off aluminum siding that tests positive. They want the bushes and trees covered according to our instructor.

I can't help of think about the movie "Outbreak" when I think of what we are going to have to go through.

fhi windows

#17 Post by fhi windows »

Mike, if you look at the outside containment rules, we will have to cover the trees and scrubs as well. At least I will have to in my service area because everyone grows stuff within a few feet of their homes. I'm wondering how long trees and shrubs will live when they are wrapped up during the heat of the summer.

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

What do you guys think of this law in general? I got into it with a fellow contractor today who said that this is a good thing for us. I disagree. IMO, this law penalizes those of us who are legit, and follow all of the rules and regulations in he first place. We are the one's who take the most care to keep clients' home clean and safe in the first place, and now we are the one's being effected by this law, because now we have to raise our prices to compensate. The two groups that are most likely to contribute to improper procedures are DIY homeowners, and hacks who don't follow the rules anyway. Guess what, this law does nothing to effect them! This is only making our job of selling more difficult as it puts more distance between our prices and theirs.... I am all for making our installations cleaner and safer, i just think that this law encourages consumers to choose "alternative" means of installation that will put their families at a higher risk.

fhi windows

#19 Post by fhi windows »

HomeSealed wrote:What do you guys think of this law in general? I got into it with a fellow contractor today who said that this is a good thing for us. I disagree. IMO, this law penalizes those of us who are legit, and follow all of the rules and regulations in he first place. We are the one's who take the most care to keep clients' home clean and safe in the first place, and now we are the one's being effected by this law, because now we have to raise our prices to compensate. The two groups that are most likely to contribute to improper procedures are DIY homeowners, and hacks who don't follow the rules anyway. Guess what, this law does nothing to effect them! This is only making our job of selling more difficult as it puts more distance between our prices and theirs.... I am all for making our installations cleaner and safer, i just think that this law encourages consumers to choose "alternative" means of installation that will put their families at a higher risk.
I agree with you except that hopefully the EPA fines (if enforced) will bankrupt all of the hacks over time.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#20 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Higher taxes and stricter EPA regulations with higher prices for our customers is just what we needed to claw our way out of this horrible recession. Look for sales to plummet in older areas.
....Bunch of geniuses in power I tell you.

buddy110

#21 Post by buddy110 »

Window4U (IL) wrote:Higher taxes and stricter EPA regulations with higher prices for our customers is just what we needed to claw our way out of this horrible recession. Look for sales to plummet in older areas.
....Bunch of geniuses in power I tell you.
I coudn't agree more Dave, this law will hurt all who comply. No good deed goes unpunished thanks to gppd ole BB

bobbar

#22 Post by bobbar »

We have all installers through the classes and have already done some jobs with Lead Paint Saftey Practices. Yep, pain in the butt and took a couple hours longer than expected. The neighbors thought we were CSI and their neighbor was murdered. Lots of plastic and warning signs. This will effect our business, the fine should be against the homeowner , not the contractor. Some contractors will take shortcuts and the honest windows dealers will have higher sell prices and will lose sales. How can the EPA police the law when they do not have enough trainers to teach the course. Another business challange in a tough economy.

Door&WindowPlus

#23 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Right now on the EPA website listing certified firms in a 50 mile radius from us there are only 125 companies listed as certified. I can count only 6 window dealers that are.

buddy110

#24 Post by buddy110 »

Door&WindowPlus wrote:Right now on the EPA website listing certified firms in a 50 mile radius from us there are only 125 companies listed as certified. I can count only 6 window dealers that are.
Do you have a link? I'd like to see who's near me

Door&WindowPlus

#25 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

buddy110 wrote:
Door&WindowPlus wrote:Right now on the EPA website listing certified firms in a 50 mile radius from us there are only 125 companies listed as certified. I can count only 6 window dealers that are.
Do you have a link? I'd like to see who's near me
http://cfpub.epa.gov/flpp/searchrrp_firm.htm

Door&WindowPlus

#26 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Here is a link to check who is a certified firm.

How many of you have gotten certified?

Door&WindowPlus

#27 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Wanted to see how everyone is doing dealing with the new lead requirements. I have found it some of my competitors are lead certified but don't follow the installation steps. Is this happening to others?

SuperiorW&D

#28 Post by SuperiorW&D »

When checking with that link only 6 people in my area show up. Besides myself, I personally know at least a dozen others that are certified (they took the class with me) and are not showing up.

I know we have gone up against firms that are not certified and are telling customers that "your job does not meet the threshold determined by the EPA". We test their homes and confirm the presence of lead paint. We tell it the way it is and let the chips fall where they may.

We have "split the difference" to get jobs away from the non-certified and that keeps everyone happy.

Just wish we were on the EPA list. :(

windowman736

#29 Post by windowman736 »

It is not lead abatement, it is lead containment. You are nor responsible for removing the lead but are responsible for preventing paint chips and dust from the immediate work area from escaping from said area.

buddy110

#30 Post by buddy110 »

Delaware Mike wrote:Fhi, that's a pretty good number amount and is about what I came up with also. My class had a total of about 17 guys in it. Only about six of us were window guys and the other guys did pretty much strictly siding installers. The siding guys were in total shock of how much poly they are going to have to put down when they tear off aluminum siding that tests positive. They want the bushes and trees covered according to our instructor.

I can't help of think about the movie "Outbreak" when I think of what we are going to have to go through.

Pretty sure aluminum siding does NOT contain lead. Even if it did, removing it creates no dust or chips