Will Prices Drop After The $1500 Expires?

A place to talk about the Window Industry
beer234

Will Prices Drop After The $1500 Expires?

#1 Post by beer234 »

When the $1500 tax credit expired do you think that window manufacturer's or those that sell/install will lower their prices to get those who cannot use the credit or those who missed the credit to purchase?

HomeSealed

Re: Will Prices Drop After The $1500 Expires?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I can't speak for everyone, but our (meaning my company's) pricing is set based upon our expenses, profit margins, etc. The tax credit is something offered directly to consumers by the government and has no bearing whatsoever on pricing. The only way I'd see anybody's pricing going down is if consumer demand falls off a cliff. All indications are that this will not be the case.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

HomeSealed wrote:I can't speak for everyone, but our (meaning my company's) pricing is set based upon our expenses, profit margins, etc. The tax credit is something offered directly to consumers by the government and has no bearing whatsoever on pricing. The only way I'd see anybody's pricing going down is if consumer demand falls off a cliff. All indications are that this will not be the case.

+1 I agree. Prices didn't go up when the tax credit became available. Pricing on windows by profitable companies don't shift when consumer incentives like tax credits come along. Pricing is based on the cost of doing business. Consumers were buying windows before there were tax credits, they will be buying them after they are gone. If anything, window prices may rise if demand drops off and manufacturers reduce their supply.

SuperiorW&D

#4 Post by SuperiorW&D »

EcoStar Windows wrote:+1 I agree. Prices didn't go up when the tax credit became available.
Exactly. If we didn't raise our prices when the credit became available what is there to lower later?