LEAD PAINT LAW....

A place to talk about the Window Industry
windowwise

LEAD PAINT LAW....

#1 Post by windowwise »

I am new here so bear with me. Does the lead paint law seem to be unfairly aimed at window companies? I see painting, renovations and know painters that could care less.
There is not any enforcement of the law here. My company is being under bid by all the companies and individuals who don't care. I find it real hard to tell a homeowner how lead is going to effect them. I don't believe it myself. Window replacement disturbs far less paint than drilling a hole in the wall, if you know what you are doing.
When I check for lead and it is positive I have the homerowner sign a paper that they know they have lead paint. At least maybe they will think twice before hiring someone uncertified.

ranger

Re: LEAD PAINT LAW....

#2 Post by ranger »

you can also tell the home owner to have fun trying to sell their house because now that you tested it, they have to disclose they have lead during the sale.
99% of the time when i home is sold, they home owner will check the box that says "do not know" when asked if lead is present. all homeowners do that by default. if you test, they now have to reply by saying yes.
best practice is to always assume there is lead and follow proper procedure.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

While I agree that the spirit behind the RRP rule is somewhat well founded, the execution of the new law was questionable to say the least.

Poor education, implementation, zero research from contractors, vague language and definitions, etc, all come together to make it a tremendously confusing law.

ranger

#4 Post by ranger »

my feeling has been if a home owner wants to buy an older home with lead, its their responsibility to deal with it. although i can certainly understand public housing .
its also up to them to choose a contractor that will work accordingly and clean up. its when a home owner hires the cheapest labor because they dont want to pay the cost of a professional installer that a potential for problems exist. although with windows, lead isnt a big risk to begin with anyway.
just a another way for the feds to bring in revenue.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

It is more like a way for the Feds to spend more money.The enforcement is not revenue generated.

VRWAdmin
Site Admin

#6 Post by VRWAdmin »

Please consider taking threads of this nature here:

http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... um.php?f=9

Ed's