My DC area window replacement experience

A place to talk about the Window Industry
Stranman

My DC area window replacement experience

#1 Post by Stranman »

My wife and I recently bought a single family home 6mos or so ago knowing it would need new windows. I found out about the DC home expo so we went knowing we wanted to get new windows without doing any research first or knowing of this discussion board. Mistake #1.

We went and spoke to several window installers. We eagerly scheduled home consultations for estimates, first ocurring the next day, still not having done any research with a local "everyone knows of them from their ads on the radio, etc." aka Thomson Creek. Long story short, this is Mistake #2!

We wanted 13 DHs, 2 sliders, and a bay window replaced. TC's initial estimate $32k!? WHAT!? I told her I estimated the cost to be about $500 per window. My wife looked at me and asked, "did you miss a decimal point?" Before the guy left, after I wasted 2.5 hrs of my life and part of the NYG's game, he was offering $16k! Needless to say, I had no problem telling him to get the hell out of my house!

After this experience, i prompptly cancelled the rest of those appointments from the home show, and my research began. I wasn't going thru that again!

In the end, I got 2 more quotes: from WindowMan and WOW for either SoftLite or Okna windows. I liked the Okna 500s better and the price was a little cheaper. Both gave honest, itemized estimates, which I appreciate as an engineer. We just had all our windows and doors installed this week and I'm happy to report a great outcome and highly recommend WoW.

If you're reading this forum, you already should know better than to waste your time with Thomson Creek, but if not heed my warning, don't waste your time unless you like getting jerked around.

Any time I hear Thomson Creek advertisements on the radio or elsewhere, my blood boils!

Windows on Washington

Re: My DC area window replacement experience

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paul,

Thank you for the kind feedback. I am glad we were able to complete this project for you and your wife.

Enjoy the new windows and warmer home. Let me know when you are ready to air seal and insulate those attics.

Congrats on your first Holiday in the new home!

Eric