Republic sells their plant!

A place to talk about the Window Industry
Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Republic sells their plant!

#1 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Oh my, were all the rumors we heard at the spring home improvement shows true?

http://www.windowanddoor.net/latestnews.php?id=1163
This article is about their award winning state of the art manufacturing facility they built right north of the Chicago loop. I'll bet the city of Chicago is wishing they had that $10 million subsidy back that helped build it 9 years ago!
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advanced Vinyl

Republic Sells their plant

#2 Post by Advanced Vinyl »

Window4U:
I work for a supplier to the industry and we recently began selling Republic equipment and supplies. We were initally scared off by the industry rumors we heard about them but after I was there a few weeks ago, they seemed to be doing pretty good. What else have you heard?

Window4U (IL)

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I don't think it would be responsible for me to repeat any rumors as rumors are usually full of half truths.
But, I will repost the quote from windowanddoor.net since the link I posted to the story is no longer up.
Republic Sells Chicago Plant
June 2006

Gum and candy maker Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. is paying Republic Windows & Doors $31 million for its current Chicago manufacturing plant, according to the Chicago Tribune. The vinyl window manufacturer continues to occupy the facility, but is looking to move to a smaller, more economical facility by the end of the year, the newspaper reports.

Republic officials declined to comment on the press report. The newspaper notes that the Wrigley’s purchase price is less than the $37 million sunk into the property for the initial construction in 1997. Republic offset its construction costs with a nearly $10 million city subsidy.

AmyWindows

Yes, Republic sold its plant

#4 Post by AmyWindows »

I would like to reply to the negative comments made by Dave, the owner of Strong Window, about Republic Windows & Doors.

Fact: Yes, our plant in Chicago was sold to the Wrigley Company for $37 million dollars - for a profit.
Fiction: We received a $10 million subsidy from the City of Chicago.
Fact: We are going to be in the current location until 2008.
Fiction: We are looking for a smaller plant - we are actually looking for the same-sized facility in a less congested area in the city.
Fact: We have been in business in Chicago since 1965, and produce over 500,000 windows per year.
Fact: We had a change of ownership this year which was the impetus for the sale of the building.
Fiction: We are out of business - I have been here for 15 years and can tell you we have never been better - lead-times are great, product quality is exceptional, and innovation remains the key to our success. Check out our new website at www.republicwindows.com

Fact: The 650 employees of Republic take great pride in making top-notch windows and doors, and in our longstanging reputation as a quality supplier.

Sadly, I am unclear as to what Dave thinks is "sleazy" about Republic, but I can assure you, our company is a class act.

I suppose it's fun to gossip, however gossip is very non-productive. Dave, I am bewildered by your extreme dislike of our company and in the joy that you are obviously taking in any potentially negative press. Why so sad Dave?

Kindest Regards,

Amy Zimmerman
Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Republic Windows & Doors, LLC.

Window4U (IL)

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

First, I was not gossiping. I related a news story from a major window magazine who was quoting The Chicago Tribune. The fact is, I made a special point to say I would not repeat the rumors I heard as they may not be completely true.
Your reply is quite a bit different than the story in the Chicago Tribune Amy. They said you sold the plant for about a 6 million dollar loss and that it's construction was subsidized almost $10 million by the City of Chicago.
I would suggest you get on the phone with the Tribune and get them to print a retraction. When it is printed, I'll post it here for you.

Since you seem to be attacking me and posting my company's name to try and intimidate me, and since you asked about why I get joy out of hearing negative news about your company.......I'll gladly tell you here publicly here if you really want Amy.
I have good reason to dislike your company and yes, I do personally think your company is the sleazyest window company in America, (even though I never said it was sleazy in this thread).

Before I publicly tell the world about this, I want you to go do some background as to the behavior by your company first though. Ask around at your plant...go talk to Bob Benis, and the other people that were involved in my getting you the HME account after working on it for 5 months, and how they sent Michael McShane out to meet my customer for the first time instead of Bob Benis. Wow, ....I bet warning bells just went off for you, huh Amy?? Get a little sickening adrenilin rush off that one?

Anyway, I'd be happy to post the whole story if you want. Just reply and let me know if you want me to explain it here or not.

Even kinder regards,
Dave (Window4U)

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

Good stuff going on here... facts are easily found when they include public money.

For me, I am not a fan of Republic products. They are in my opinion builders grade and not what I would attach my reputation to.