Deposit requirement for a job

If you are new to this type of board please try out some of your test posts & replies here!
YUKKUEN

#1 Post by YUKKUEN »

I am about to cancel a contract with a window replacement contractor in California. I was asked to put 50% down before they can order the windows for me. I am not sure about this. The whole job is about $15k. Is it a reasonable request?

I further went to the Better Business Bureau website. Their rating is CCC and they received 9 complains which they agreed to fix based on the contract and 6 complains that they refused to fix because of the contract term and one complain that they did not reply. The company started business in 1993.

I think I do not want to deal with a company with that many complaints so I will cancel the contract. Please help me here if my feeling towards this contractor is correct.

Thanks,

Dorothy

Windows on Washington

Re: Deposit requirement for a job

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

YUKKUEN wrote:I am about to cancel a contract with a window replacement contractor in California. I was asked to put 50% down before they can order the windows for me. I am not sure about this. The whole job is about $15k. Is it a reasonable request?

I further went to the Better Business Bureau website. Their rating is CCC and they received 9 complains which they agreed to fix based on the contract and 6 complains that they refused to fix because of the contract term and one complain that they did not reply. The company started business in 1993.

I think I do not want to deal with a company with that many complaints so I will cancel the contract. Please help me here if my feeling towards this contractor is correct.

Thanks,

Dorothy
50% is pretty standard for deposit purposes and that number of complaints since they have been open for over 14 years is not uncommon at all and would probably be considered low for some people.

YUKKUEN

#3 Post by YUKKUEN »

Thank you for your reply. I called the company and they wanted my business and agreed to take only 10% down and the balance will be due upon completion. I feel better this way. Thanks, Dorothy