Help choosing a window contractor

If you are new to this type of board please try out some of your test posts & replies here!
windowgal

Help choosing a window contractor

#1 Post by windowgal »

Hi, This is my test post. We have had 4 quotes to replace 12 double hung windows and 1 octagon in the Philadelphia area. One contractor was a distributor for Okna windows and we were shown the 800 series. We loved the window and the price quoted was about $9800. Two other quotes were given to us by local contractors-both were for Simonton but slightly different series-I think they were Reflections 5500 came in about $7500. We like the Okna windows but it seems as if I can't get another quote from a different contractor since there isn't another distributor nearby. Is that correct?
Lastly, we had an estimate done by Home Depot for their 6100 and 6500 series. It's hard to tell differences between that line by Simonton and the other Simonton. I have read here on this board about differing installation experiences with HD and to stay away. I did have one very good reference who had windows done by them last year but plan to ask for a couple more. This is getting so confusing....Please help!
Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Help choosing a window contractor

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Do you have some other details on the installation? i.e. type of removal, what is included, option package in each quote, etc.