Champion Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
medea0

Champion Windows

#1 Post by medea0 »

Dear All,

Help! We were quoted $680 per window by Champion for an 8 window job. We signed on, but we have 3 days to cancel. Any advice? From other posts I've been reading, I gather this quote is high!

medea0

#2 Post by medea0 »

ps - We're located in Somerville, MA

HipKat

#3 Post by HipKat »

I don't know much about Champion windows but if they're good,and depending on size, that price isn't bad at all

Harman

#4 Post by Harman »

You don!t mention the specifics of the window but it is my experience that they are usually priced high. I don!t know what is available in your area but personally I would consider others.

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

If it were me... I'd cancel. In that price range you can get a much better product. That might even put you in a Schuco range depending on the dealer near you. You might want to call them to see the product and then cut right to the numbers. When you compare the two products... you will quickly understand what I mean. Good Luck.

medea0

#6 Post by medea0 »

Thank you so much for all your replies so far. I really appreciate the input. I'm not even close to being a window expert, and this decision has so many variables that it has become overwhelming.

Here's a bit more info - the windows we are replacing are mostly aluminum (horrible quality windows the previous owner put into our very old house-built in 1869). The Champion Rep. told us that our job costs mroe because it's more expensive to replace aluminum because they have to do some carpentry to insert wood into the frame or something like that (something like "create framing that would normally be there with non-"tin" windows"). Is this true?

Also, all our windows are less than 100" wide, and almost all are less than 50" wide.

The windows Champion are pitching are their standard double hung windows with argon gas.

roofingun

#7 Post by roofingun »

medeau, you can go with schuco in our area, a triple pane window
with krypton gas, if they SELL you a triple pane window is at least
$850.00 plus. The window is just not worth it.

medea0

#8 Post by medea0 »

Thanks for the advice. Based on what we've read on this message board, we decided to get pricing on Shucco windows, and so we met with one of their reps this past Saturday, and ordered from him.

The price we were finally able to live with was $8320 for 8 windows, 2 of which are entirely new construction windows (not replacing existing windows, but building in 2 new ones). This seems like a tolerable price for such high quality windows.

FenEx

#9 Post by FenEx »

As I had mentioned, I had a feeling it wouldn't take long for you to see the differences... it never does when comparing other windows to Schuco. Aside from the amazing performance numbers, would you as a homeowner care to explain some of the obvious differences you noticed? It may help others looking for windows to understand that "all" windows are not created equal. Congrats and enjoy.

Fenex