does the argon gas disappear?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
gpzelcs

does the argon gas disappear?

#1 Post by gpzelcs »

I was told my a window rep that the air in the spacing in a window is just as good as the gas because over a couple of years the argon gas disappears especially in the hotter climets (i'm in FL). Does anyone agree or disagree? The window he is proposing is manufactured by CWS (Custom Window Systems Windpact Plus Window) which has air in the spacing and does not have an option for the argon gas. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Windows on Washington

Re: does the argon gas disappear?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

gpzelcs wrote:I was told my a window rep that the air in the spacing in a window is just as good as the gas because over a couple of years the argon gas disappears especially in the hotter climets (i'm in FL). Does anyone agree or disagree? The window he is proposing is manufactured by CWS (Custom Window Systems Windpact Plus Window) which has air in the spacing and does not have an option for the argon gas. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.
Shocking that he would suggest that given that he doesn't have that option.

He is wrong. There are certainly established gas leakage rates, however, depending on the efficacy of the spacer system, the gas will leak at such a slow rate that it will last for 20+ years.

Also, argon does add to the efficiency of the window when compared to air alone. Some estimate around 20%. Granted it is more beneficial in colder climates, increases in efficiency will still pay dividends in your situation as well.

gpzelcs

argon gas

#3 Post by gpzelcs »

Thank you

gpzelcs

avoid them?

#4 Post by gpzelcs »

So would you avoid a window that had air?

Windows on Washington

Re: avoid them?

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

gpzelcs wrote:So would you avoid a window that had air?
Not necessarily, however, argon is a much better choice and I would avoid a salesman that doesn't tell the truth or know the truth.

gpzelcs

argon gas

#6 Post by gpzelcs »

thank you

gardenpartyfish

#7 Post by gardenpartyfish »

Windows on Washington wrote:
gpzelcs wrote:I was told my a window rep that the air in the spacing in a window is just as good as the gas because over a couple of years the argon gas disappears especially in the hotter climets (i'm in FL). Does anyone agree or disagree? The window he is proposing is manufactured by CWS (Custom Window Systems Windpact Plus Window) which has air in the spacing and does not have an option for the argon gas. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

He is wrong. There are certainly established gas leakage rates, however, depending on the efficacy of the spacer system, the gas will leak at such a slow rate that it will last for 20+ years.

Also, argon does add to the efficiency of the window when compared to air alone. Some estimate around 20%. Granted it is more beneficial in colder climates, increases in efficiency will still pay dividends in your situation as well.

I have read info which states 5-10 years is more likely the time Argon or Krypton will stay sealed in ANY window.

gpzelcs

argon gas

#8 Post by gpzelcs »

Then what? Do they not perform as well or is maintenance required to have them refilled if that is even possible? Thank you.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

gardenpartyfish wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:

I have read info which states 5-10 years is more likely the time Argon or Krypton will stay sealed in ANY window.
Post that info up if you remember where it was from.

There are some spacer systems that are very effective and I also think that the spacer performance and sealing effectiveness depends largely on the IGU type, temperature it is subjected to, and the window build quality.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#10 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

Here is Cardinals take on Argon in their glass units

website
www.cardinalcorp.com/data/tsb/ig/IG02.pdf