Fiberglass vs. Vinyl

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mtman

Fiberglass vs. Vinyl

#1 Post by mtman »

:?:

I was interested to see some comments about the fiberglass product. Another string addressed observing new products over time before being able to draw any conclusions.

What do you experts out there say about fiberglass windows? Have you had a chance to observe their long-term performance? Are they worth the extra $'s, just to be able to paint them whatever color you like? Are there other advantages to fiberglass?

:?:

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

I've only had the chance to follow and concentrate on Pella's Impervia. I've seen them so far up to five years old and painted. The house we follow has a rear Southern exposure and takes a boat load of heat during the Summer. The front faces North with tree cover all day long. We have been comparing the color fade, chalking, caulking and any functionality issues. So far there is nothing wrong or out of line any where between the hot and cold sides of the home. They look just as good as when they were first installed.

I've also seen some Marvin Infinity windows that were installed next to a friend of mines home. So far they look fabulous with no issues as far as I can tell. I'm sold on the fiberglass myself. I had some issues before but now am happy. I'd purchase the Impervia window in a heartbeat for my home!!!

mtman

Thanks for the feedback!

#3 Post by mtman »

I appreciate the imput. With no evident disadvantages, it is surely worth the extra money for the flexibility to choose colors to match a home.

Thanks again.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

You wanted to observe new products over time. I'm the same way; however, keep in mind the first fiberglass door was manufactured by Accurate Dorwin in 1956. The Milgard casement has been in existance for about 20 years, Marvin has been using Ultrex for over 4 years. The price has finally come to an acceptible cost level almost 50 years after its debut!