Window sill with damage

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
VAshopper

Window sill with damage

#1 Post by VAshopper »

Hey all,
I have a 14yr old house with original wooden windows that I would like to replace. My issue with installing vinyl replacements is that one of the windows (of a double window set) has some damage to the window sill. I have been told by one contractor that it would require removing the entire window frame (which likely meant that the siding would have to come off, and potentially break in the process, i.e. brittle siding) and replacing it with a new construction window.

Does that mean that all of the windows that I want to replace need to be done this way for it to look right?
Put another way, if I get a new construction window to replace the damaged one, will it look different from the vinyl replacement windows for the others?

One more question...How much more would you expect to pay for a new construction window versus a vinyl replacement window (Simonton Prism Platinum or bronze)?

Thanks in advance for your help...I think I can quickly make a decision based on the bids I have received, but want to make sure the info for the job has been relayed to me correctly and truthfully.

Shopper~

Windows on Washington

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on the extent of the rot in the sills as far as what will be required. There are plenty of ways to repair or replace that sill without compromising the siding.

VAshopper

#3 Post by VAshopper »

To me it doesn't seem terrible. It is obvious that the sill has been compromised (cracked and twisted) on the top half towards the window. Which way would be best to assess damage without removing the window?

jmomo

#4 Post by jmomo »

the sill in a likleyhood can be fixed without removing the siding and the entire old frame . do not replace with a new construction window it will not match the other windows . pay the extra money to repair the sill so all you windows match . you will be happy with the results :)

VAshopper

#5 Post by VAshopper »

I will try to get the sill fixed so that I can move forward with the windows.

Thanks a ton for the comments!
Cheers

terry.qpllc

Replacing/repairing the sill

#6 Post by terry.qpllc »

As others have already said the sill should be able to be repaired without removing the old window. If it has not already been done consider having aluminum wrap put over your old sills and brickmold. Make sure they seal it good so moisture does not get in behind the aluminum. This will give you a maintenance free exterior. Also make sure you can wash your windows from the inside.

Terry

jmomo

#7 Post by jmomo »

the sill should be repaired before it is wraped

terry.qpllc

#8 Post by terry.qpllc »

Thanks for making that clear. I did not mean that an old rotten sill should be covered. I appreciate you catching the mistake.