Is $15K too high for this job?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Ronin148

Is $15K too high for this job?

#1 Post by Ronin148 »

OK, after spending the last two hours reading through the threads, I think I need some help from the pros on this forum.

I've just been quoted $15K for retrofit windows using Amerimax product for the following:

United inchs:

143(4x)
151- French door
80- garden window

All the big 100+ windows have two double-hungs on the ends with a picture window in the middle. Price includes construction needed to cut down 4 stucco walls to fit the 143".

What do you guys think? I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for", but am I just throwing my money out the window on this one? Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Ronin148

#2 Post by Ronin148 »

Well, I've more or less answered my own question. Short answer is NO.

I contacted a total of 6 companies and gathered 5 bids. Brands of windows that I was presented with: Amerimax, Aniline, Simmonton, Polybau and Milgard.

As far as the quality of the window goes, they are all very close with the exception of Milgard. Price range of $13K to $15K+. But price is only 30% of my deciding factor while company's reputaion/credential represents a whopping 40% and salesmanship is another 20%.

To make a long story short, I've learned a lot from all the threads other people have posted here and am able to form an educated opinion. THanks guys!

HipKat

#3 Post by HipKat »

That price is fine. You have some very large openings, plus the door. The garden windows are pretty expensive, too. Be careful. many garden windows leak. Not saying they WILL but it's not uncommon.
Amerimax and Polybau would get my attention over the others.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I agree. I did a rough estimate based on average pricing and the quote seems fine.

Ronin148

#5 Post by Ronin148 »

Thanks for all the input. I definitely feel better about proceeding forward with a decision.

Ronin148

#6 Post by Ronin148 »

I just had my 5th and last visit from a contractor, using Amerimax window. And he brought up a couple points for me to consider:

1. The large windows I have are dual double hungs flanking a picture window. The contractor said that H frames are used to put the 3 pieces together on job site, as Amerimax does not fab them as one unit, not yet anyways. Is this true? Is this bad if ture?

2. His company uses polyurethane instead of 100% silicon sealant. Is that better?

Overall all the reps were very professional, two of them didn't even do any sales pitch. Price ranges were $14K to $19+. But the $19+ one was in a league of its own based on product and construction method, so I really couldn't make a fair comparision.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

HipKat

#7 Post by HipKat »

I'm no sealant expert, but tires are made of polyeurothane, and they seem pretty resilient to me.

As far as on the job fabrication, again, I'm no authority, but it seems to me fitting the pieces and building them to fit on the spot where they vcan get exact measurements seems like a pretty good idea.