bow/bay window options

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
johnb

bow/bay window options

#1 Post by johnb »

I have casement windows on my house. They are paired (one opening, one not) and about 2.5' x 4' each (I'm guessing, they are a standard size). We're considering putting in a bay or bow window into one or more of the existing openings. We've been told that that size is a little small, and while we could put one in, that all the framing, trim, etc, would really limit the amount of "glass" we'd get. Do some styles/manufacturer's lines tend to lend themselve to this type of thing better than others? Sort of in the "max glass/ minimum frame" way?

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

is that 48" total opening or 96" total opening? because 48" opening width is entirely too small for a bay or bow. hopefully it is 96" and all will work out. i find it hard to beleive a company will manufacture a 48" bay or bow. i'll have to check a few books in the garage but that doesn't sound right.

RR

#3 Post by RR »

Garden windows can be made 48 wide. They're typically used in kitchens where growing herbs on the glass shelves is attractive. The instalation is with brackets below, insulated then finished with siding, and a neat 3 sided roof. Opening windows vary - an awning main window might be possible or 2 casement side windows, depending on the overall size.

johnb

#4 Post by johnb »

I took a tape and measured. Guesstimating the rough opening to be "around" the outer third of the interior trim gives me 58" wide by 54" high for the entire opening (which currently houses 2 casements).

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

John that is really to small of an opening for any kind of Bow or Bay unit. The recommendation of a garden window is definitely an option to consider. I think a good opening size to consider is anywhere from 72" and beyond. Good Luck!!!