Alside Centurion, Excalibur, help??????

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
smallhome

Alside Centurion, Excalibur, help??????

#1 Post by smallhome »

Quoted $2700 for 8 vinyl double hung and 1 large 2 lite slider (Centurion) in the midwest.
U-value of .34 or less. Energy Star.

This quote is for the entire home (excluding the basement sliders and bathroom which my hubby already replaced himself)

We can upgrade to Excalibur for $2800.

I haven't seen too many bad things about the Alside Excalibur but haven't read anything it's inferior model Centurion.

Our home is a little 3 br, raised ranch w/ bay window in the eat in kitchen. We would like to go the economical route but nice/ not super cheap. I want to put nice windows in this house to sell in about 5 years.

Does this sound like a reasonable quote? Should we consider another brand before deciding? There are so many brands out there!!! We have 4 little boys and need a well made practical, nice window.

The large slider in front could be upgraded into two side by side double hungs for approx $200. Long term, are two double hungs better than 1 slider? If we choose slider, should we go with the 50/50 or the 25/50/25?

Also, the home was built in the 80's with a manufactured sill caulked to the front inside base of the window. I would like to rip all of these out since they are moldy in spots and just plain ugly. The window man told us most new windows are installed directly over the old sills. He will come back to measure if we decide to rip them out. We have no other trim around the openings. Just a hole with the fake brown piece of wood at the bottom.

Any thoughts or warnings or encouragement will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Windows on Washington

Re: Alside Centurion, Excalibur, help??????

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would not opt for the Centurion over the Excalibur. Fully welded construction in the Excalibur insures that the window should be free from fastening and frame integrity issues at the least.

The Excalibur is a decent mid grade window but there are equally as good a window out there.

The Excalibur should comfortably last you at least 5 years and then some.

I do not like large 2-lite sliders as they are prone to operational issues. I would opt for the two DH arrangement.

smallhome

#3 Post by smallhome »

thank you.

are there other manufacturers who beat the Excalibur in durability and efficiency yet around the same cost I quoted above (approx $310 per double hung vinyl with low e + argon installed w/ all the insulation and wrapping,etc)?

are we safe to stick with these windows?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a pretty tough number to beat regardless. If you are comfortable with the contractor, I see no harm in using that window.

I would do your research and look the contractors previous work over carefully. You only get one chance to pick the right contractor and that is just as important as picking the right product.

smallhome

#5 Post by smallhome »

The company giving the quote does windows, siding, etc and offers specials in the value mail, however, they carry a good BBB record. When you get an estimate, you only meet with the sales person who comes to measure, how do we find out about the installers and their previous work? Is it 'okay' to ask for contact numbers to find out how others felt about the service, etc?