Capitol Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MJB

Capitol Windows

#1 Post by MJB »

I stopped yesterday to talk with a contractor installing windows on a house in my neighborhood (Alexandria, VA). I asked him what brands he likes. He recommended Capitol windows. I have been following this board for some time now (still trying to decide which windows to go with), but don't recall reading anything about Capitol windows. Can anyone offer an opinion?

Thank you very much.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

We installed around 5000 of Capitols windows for National builder Ryland Construction. We used every type of window the had. I know the job Sup's weren't happy with them and had a blower door test done to see what the air infiltration was on a new construction home. The units passed at 99%, I was impressed to say the least. I thought they were really cheap looking. All the mulled units were way out of square and we had to really torque on them to get them square. Personally I didn't like them at all. I thought they should be used in a mobile home park. One thing it did back up for me was. If installed correctly any window can be installed to get it's maximum performance. My only concern is where will the cheap windows be performing in ten years down the road after they are used. I may go back in time and see if the home owner will let me test the house again and see if there are any changes. When I do I'll post the results and we can see how things are changing, if any.

MJB

#3 Post by MJB »

Thanks, Guy. I really appreciate the response and the insight. I am currently seriously considering the Simonton 5500 and the Marvin Infinity. Do you have an opinion as to how they stack up against each other?

Thank you!