Good replacement windows on a budget

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
washmo

Good replacement windows on a budget

#1 Post by washmo »

This may be challenging, I'm looking for a good replacement window for my home in the St. Louis area. We will be moving in 2-3 years so I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to leave the next owner with trash. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

washmo

Re: Good replacement windows on a budget

#2 Post by washmo »

I guess no one uses "good" quality replacement windows?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Certainly not the case. Industry pros are hesitant to comment on "budget" type threads because it creates a price only mentality which usually hurts the customer. It also really depends on what you budget is and what your home requires.

Lastly, most pros don't want to recommend a window that will only last 10 years because it does not do the vinyl market justice and certainly doesn't help the consumer.

Budget priced windows are sometimes market specific because they are actually produced locally. Throw out some names of the ones that you were considering and I will certain offer my opinion.

dutch

#4 Post by dutch »

Windows on Washington wrote: Budget priced windows are sometimes market specific because they are actually produced locally. Throw out some names of the ones that you were considering and I will certain offer my opinion.
I'm not the OP, but I hope you will extend your offer to me. :)

How about Milgard Style Line Series? (horizontal sliders)

washmo

#5 Post by washmo »

Hi and thanks for the reply. I have 10 windows to replace along with a sliding patio door. The quote I have is $6,400 for Atrium model 160 windows. This includes installation, the window price is $4,700. Is this good bad or ugly??

floorme1955

#6 Post by floorme1955 »

You can purchase Premium Windows without breaking the bank:

All premium replacement windows are going to provide you with energy savings (usually a U factor 29-32 is exceptional).

All premium replacement windows will provide you quality performance with warranties ( Lifetime; that includes ALL parts, ALL LABOR and NO TRIP CHARGES):

So: How do you know what windows to buy or how good the window or the window company really is?

As a consumer, you should verify that the window has at least 2 third party TESTING endorsements. The best 2 that I know are :
1) AAMA ( This Assoc. tests the quality of the window)

AAMA Certification (American Architectures and Manufacturers Association)
This association tests windows for quality assurance and award CERTIFICATION of QUALITY: They ( AMMA) test for resistance of water, wind, impact, structure strength etc: and like the olympics, some do not receive anything while some will receive a BRONZE CERTIFICATION, some get a SILVER CERTIFICATION and only the best receive a GOLD CERTIFICATION.

2)GOOD HOUSEKEEPING (They Test the quality of the WINDOW and the WINDOW COMPANY)

As I understand it; Nationally; out of tens of thousands of window companies,
GOOD HOUSKEEPING has awarded only 5 Window Replacement companies their GOOD HOUSEKEEPING PROMISE; This PROMISE is very difficult to receive and assures the consumer of their complete satisfaction with their purchase. This GOOD HOUSEKEEPING PROMISE to YOU includes: Window Quality, Product warranties, Company Viability and financial strength and Installation and Service policies and procedures to ensure customer satisfaction:
IF you are unhappy and the company and they have not made the attempt to make you happy, GOOD HOUSEKEEPING will either repair, replace the window or refund you your money, including labor.

REMEMBER: ONLY 5 companies have this GOOD HOUSEKEEPING PROMISE:

In my market there are 2 of the 5 companies with both the AMMA GOLD CERTICATION and the GOOD HOUSEKEEPING PROMISE:

1) WINDOW WORLD 2) Champion Windows
Less than $300 per Less than $600 per
Double Hung Window Double Hung Window

I know some, with an agenda, will want to dispute my recommendation but:

We bought our windows from Window World and are VERY SATISFIED: Plus they were at least $250 per window LESS than Champion.

Good Luck with your search:

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You bought your windows from Window World? :roll: Give us a break.
No consumer would write a post like this. You are a WW employee trying to advertise here so stop trying to be clever. It's not working.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

Here's the Good Houskeeping warranty from their website:
"Since 1909, the Good Housekeeping Seal has been a highly recognized statement of the magazine's renowned Consumer's Policy. The Good Housekeeping Consumer's Policy, published in every issue of the magazine, states that if a product bearing the Seal proves to be defective within two years of purchase, Good Housekeeping will replace the product or refund the purchase price.

The Seal may be carried only by those products whose ads have been reviewed and accepted for publication in Good Housekeeping."
Whoop T Doo. Any reputable installer will give a much better labor warranty than that.
Last edited by Skydawggy on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not to mention that the seal is on the product...not the company. Good luck getting that seal to cover any warranty issues. :lol:

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

Windows on Washington wrote:Not to mention that the seal is on the product...not the company. Good luck getting that seal to cover any warranty issues. :lol:
Looks like Window World is trying to buy some credibility since they were dis-accredited and then booted out of the BBB.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#11 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

I would not recommend Window World.