Avoiding "Gap" Between 2 Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
wrldruler

Avoiding "Gap" Between 2 Windows

#1 Post by wrldruler »

Converting garage into family room. I want to have a set of double windows installed. I thought I could go out and buy two regular windows and have them installed side-by-side. Now I am worried.

I want to make sure our windows are side-by-side, with little gap between them. Our nieghbors, who also converted their garage, bought 2 windows, and now there is a several inch gap between the two. They filled the gap with siding, and the wife and I hate the look.

Here is a picture I found on the Internet, similar to the neighbors. notice the several inch gap:

Instead, I want the windows to be side-by-side with no gap, like this example:

So what did the nieghbors do wrong that left them with such a wide gap between windows?

Can I put two sperate windows side-by-side with no gap, or should I have custom ordered a twin window?

Thanks,

Chris

Windows on Washington

Re: Avoiding "Gap" Between 2 Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The difference in the appearance of those two pictures is the result of the framing of the rough opening and not the windows themselves. Both pictures that you have there are two individual windows that are separated by wood framing. If you want a true double window (i.e. side by side with little to no gap) then you would want the rough opening to be framed as one large opening and either order a twin double hung (factory mulled/joined) unit or have two individual units field mulled/joined during the installation process.

Both of the pictures that you are showing there are the result of wood framing members between the windows themselves. In the picture on top, there are two separate openings with each opening have 4 non-shared sides. The picture on the bottom is two individual rough openings with a shared center framing member.

wrldruler

#3 Post by wrldruler »

I'm good now. Andersen sells a Joining Kit.

Just for the record, for all those thinking of running down to the Home Depot to buy Andersen windows.....

Home Depot said it would take 2 weeks to get the kit in at a cost of $37.

Called my local building supply. They had more Andersen windows in stock than Home Depot. Price was maybe $10 more per window. They had the kit in stock. They even offered to put the 2 windows together for about $50 in labor, and offered to do it within the hour if I needed. And they were helpful, knowledgeable, and just generally eager to please.

So I am returning the HD windows, and spending the extra $70 at the local building supply, and will have the exact windows I want within an hour.

Thanks everyone.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

Wrldruler,

In some cases the center post is just a couple 2x6's stacked together under a continuous header. If you can find out if the header goes all the way across (by removing inside trim and chopping out some sheetrock) you can see the header. If the header is continuous you can then cut out the studs and order windows to span the entire opening. This way you'll be able to have two windows that are mulled together and give you the look your after.

If the header is split in the middle and supported by the center post, you'll have to keep the same look with an extended mull cover like your looking at. Good Luck!!!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I get the impression that he is doing the framing as part of the garage conversion. If that is the case, he can do pretty much whatever he likes.