Replacing Casement & Awning windows in CT

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Jennifer1451

Replacing Casement & Awning windows in CT

#1 Post by Jennifer1451 »

We live in a contemporary raised ranch in CT and I am trying to figure out how to replace 9 casement windows and 8 awning windows on the front side of the house. The casement windows are in three groups of three approximately 6 1/2' wide x 47" tall and the awnings are in four groups of two 8' wide x 32" tall. We want to maintain the look and style of the house.

I have considered taking them out to the rough opening and replacing them with new construction windows (Jeld Wen or Marvin Infinity) and new trim which would then leave me having to paint the inside and outside of the house. Very expensive with no money left for everything else that needs to be done.

I am now considering vinyl replacement windows. Any assistance with the following questions would be greatly appreciated. I want to do it right but whenever I look at replacments they always look so thick and obvious.

1. Considering the different mechanics of casement & awning windows, is it OK to use replacements?
2. What is your opinion of the Alside Excalibur window?
3. Is anyone familiar with Sugarcreek Industries (now Provia Door Co) and their line of Integra vinyl replacement windows and Prestige vinyl patio door systems?
4. Any suggestions for other good quality upper mid-level brands? We will most likely be in this house for the rest of our lives so I don't want a cheap fix and I only want to do it once.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help.
Jennifer

installationmaster

Re: Replacing Casement & Awning windows in CT

#2 Post by installationmaster »

1. Considering the different mechanics of casement & awning windows, is it OK to use replacements?
Replacements should be fine. Just make sure you get the right contractor.
2. What is your opinion of the Alside Excalibur window?
If on strict budget this is a more affordable window. Their are many others available in your area that are quality and very energy efficient which is a consideration since you will be in the home long term. You will pay more upfront, but save much more in the long run.
3. Is anyone familiar with Sugarcreek Industries (now Provia Door Co) and their line of Integra vinyl replacement windows and Prestige vinyl patio door systems?
Not familiar with them, sorry.
4. Any suggestions for other good quality upper mid-level brands? We will most likely be in this house for the rest of our lives so I don't want a cheap fix and I only want to do it once.
If going vinyl and you are in Connecticut you should check out Force V Environmental. I buy from them for Florida, but they manufacture in Connecticut. It used to be called Schuco, but now is american owned and making many changes for the better. They are relocating to SC but I am sure they still have many dealers in Ct being that is where they are. Simonton in my opinion is another quality vinyl product to look into, but not as high end as the Force V window (formerly Schuco).

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Will you be in South Carolina in February at Force V's new factory grand opening ? If so I'll see you there.

installationmaster

#4 Post by installationmaster »

They mentioned something about that, but I didn't know when. I would like to plan to attend. I toured the plant in Connecticut and I was impressed with their automation and I know they are talking of automating their Euro line now in South Carolina. I would like to see that. Tilt and turns and French Doors are becoming our number one seller overtaking double hung sales. It gives us a product to present down here that noone else is showing. We have yet to find another manufacturer who even offers an insulated impact window with Miami Dade NOA's. Most of our customers are worried about impact, but we are able to offer the energy savings along with the protection.

I will see you there.

JenNoCentrlFLA

Re: Looking4intallationmaster

#5 Post by JenNoCentrlFLA »

Hi, I'm looking for the member called, "installationmaster."

I'd like to talk with you because I live in Florida and read that you're here, too. I'd like to know where you are and if you might be able to help me. I'm in North Central Florida in a town called Gainesville.

I am VERY interested in the Schuco/Force V Environmental windows. I'd love to get in contact with you, if you don't mind. I've got 16 old, 1949 metal-casement windows to replace and I need to get a move on, ASAP. I'm handicapped and battling a nasty mold problem that I can't get under control until I replace the windows. There are 16 window in all; 6 are south-facing, 4 east-facing and 6 that get less to no sun at all. I'd love any advice you'd be willing to share.

Thanks

JenNoCentrlFLA

Looking4a guy called, "Installationmaster"

#6 Post by JenNoCentrlFLA »

I just caught that you live in Miami Dade area. That doesn't bother me a bit. Might you know someone who deals either up in Gainesville or in Jacksonville? If not, I'd still love to learn anything you could share regarding windows that are the most energy efficient, durable, etc. for Florida. It gets just as hot up here in Gainesville. Thanks