CertianTeed Bryn Mawr II versus Simonton 5500

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Michael

CertianTeed Bryn Mawr II versus Simonton 5500

#1 Post by Michael »

Hello Window People !!!!

I have narrowed my search down to 2 windows, Bryn Mawr II and Simonton 5500, I have 15 windows to replace. 11 D/H, 1 106X47 3 Lite Slider, 1 42X42 Plate or Picture, 1 36x36 Casement and a small obscure slider. Quotes comming in for $6800 to $7000 for Simonton 5500 and $6200 for Factory certified Bryn Mawr II installer (owner does the work, 25 years in bus.). I live on Long Island, N.Y. and it's a tuff market. The old windows are aluminum frame so it's work to get them out. Any suggestions about which window is the better choice and best value would be of great help, thanks in advance for all feedback !!!

searspro

#2 Post by searspro »

Sears sells Simonton windows. I have installed thousands for them, with very few problems or complaints, in fact I am amazed at how much quieter a house is with the new simonton windows. I've had numerous customers just freak out about the silence inside. Neighbors with loud music or local traffic or whatever. However, I like the thought of the owner of the company installing them, the install can make all the difference in the world. My new motto is "A BAD INSTALL CAN MAKE EVEN THE BEST WINDOWS SUCK AIR", I'm sure you would be happy with the less expensive window, if the installer does a good job!

HipKat

#3 Post by HipKat »

I'd do some homework on Certainteed's.
Consumer reports has them listed near the top of the list for high failure rates

Weender Man

#4 Post by Weender Man »

Check with Home Depot. They do like Sears, but at less price and hassle.

HipKat

#5 Post by HipKat »

Oh yeah. home Depot sells GREAT windows..if you don't mind buying junk that you'll end up replacing again in about 5 years......

Chad ED

Simonton -vs- Certainteed

#6 Post by Chad ED »

Michael I am interested in which window you chose. I have also received estimates for Simonton Reflections 5500 and Certainteed Bryn Mhar II. Certainteed is owned by a French Conglomerate where Simonton shows to be private. I had $35.00 difference between the two estimates. Both samples brought out were identical outside two cosmetic differences. If I had to bet I would say they are produced by the same manufacturer and detailed to differenct retailers spes. Even the Intercept spacer system was the same terminology. The warranty on the Simonton appears to be more inclusive as they cover screen damage where Certainteed does not. Thanks for the feed back.

RVEXLER

#7 Post by RVEXLER »

Check the warranties. Simonton does not offer any labor guarantee on their waranty. Certainteed offers only 5 years. If seal failure were to occur (the most expensive repair on a window) then replacement labor costs could run you $100 per window. Milgard, if its available, offers a full lifetime guarantee including labor, done by the factory.

I sell Milgard in Southern California and their response to customer warranty repair requests is outstanding. Within 2 business days, they have called the customer to schedule the repair and within 2 weeks the repair has been completed.

thd50

apparently not well informed...

#8 Post by thd50 »

HipKat wrote:Oh yeah. home Depot sells GREAT windows..if you don't mind buying junk that you'll end up replacing again in about 5 years......
Hello??

Have you read the warranty on The Home Depot's windows?

(apparently not) :shock:

Tell me what company or business has the resources to replace windows if any defect found in caftsmanship, installation or product (WITHOUT TRIP CHARGES, LABOR CHARGES OR PARTS CHARGES as long as you own your home?

I remain. :wink:
Ck

thd50

Re: CertianTeed Bryn Mawr II versus Simonton 5500

#9 Post by thd50 »

Michael wrote:Hello Window People !!!!

I have narrowed my search down to 2 windows, Bryn Mawr II and Simonton 5500, I have 15 windows to replace. 11 D/H, 1 106X47 3 Lite Slider, 1 42X42 Plate or Picture, 1 36x36 Casement and a small obscure slider. Quotes comming in for $6800 to $7000 for Simonton 5500 and $6200 for Factory certified Bryn Mawr II installer (owner does the work, 25 years in bus.). I live on Long Island, N.Y. and it's a tuff market. The old windows are aluminum frame so it's work to get them out. Any suggestions about which window is the better choice and best value would be of great help, thanks in advance for all feedback !!!
With Aluminum or metal window frames comes a fee called "metal window replacement" - :shock: - Since your builder originally took the shortcut - you now have the pleasure of paying for it -- Sorry - the cold hard truth here -- :evil:

A metal window replacement to a vinly or other window will include three trips around the window with new buck frame, new exterior casing, new interior stops (and possibly new exterior stops). Add it up the linear footage and divide by 8 (as in eight foot length of wood) and do not forget labor --

As for someone who has been in business (running the entire show and installing for over 25 years) -- I'd be a bit concerned on that he/she'd be retiring or moving to where it is warm.. or selling the business. What happens to your warranty then? You think a manufacturer wants to hear from a homeowner or a contractor?

If this person is se to retire anywhere near prior to the life of the windows you are investing in - you may be left with no one to turn to - go figure -- do you think the new company will not be doing his repair work (would you?) or perhaps they otherwise simply say -- that was an inferior product that we would never install - we'd be HAPPY to come out and provide you a free quote to bu new ones... I've heard and seen it happen too many times to count.

Next: All warranties read explicitly and typically IN LARGE CAPITOL FONT SIZES: VOID IF IMPROPERLY INSTALLED..

If improper installation occurs (ie you are a one-time customer) then you you better bet that any installer would not think twice to take a shortcut -- leaving you in "the ring of fire" -its the intsaller - no it can't be -- it has to be the product (repeat round rubber-room treatment until you give up) -

In other words, you could risk your investment and find out after about 6 months of arguing to get a factory representative out only to find the product warranty void and have no-where to turn to except those you know will be there -- you should call the home depot.

PS> If you have not yet done your project you may want to get on it ASAP as I am told window prices are going to shoot up near or by February '06 (vinyl is petroleum).

Good luck on your project!
Ck

HipKat

#10 Post by HipKat »

Better read that warranty a little closer. Try paying attention to the exclusions. BTW, I have several HD warranty's for American Craftsman, et al windows right here. I use it to compare to other companies all the time.
BTW, my company warrants installation. That's what you get when you use company guys over sub-contractors, so you can forget that thing about all warranties excluding installation coverage.

thd50

ahhhhhh yes - the many myths...

#11 Post by thd50 »

HipKat wrote:Better read that warranty a little closer. Try paying attention to the exclusions. BTW, I have several HD warranty's for American Craftsman, et al windows right here. I use it to compare to other companies all the time.
BTW, my company warrants installation. That's what you get when you use company guys over sub-contractors, so you can forget that thing about all warranties excluding installation coverage.
We are the company who installs - the only reason why we 1099 our exterior installation serices team is that if they would like to get creative (as many other companies do) and take a shortut - it will be their last - and another team will be on the way to do it right - otherwise a w2 employee in corporate america would have to have the three slaps on the wrist routine - and that my friend is three times too many homes that have been butchured.

Next is that we have more peopel responsible for quality assurance and quality control than your entire organization. There is no way to compete with those resources...

1. We do not install American crafstman windows - they are perhaps one of the best "economical - DIY window on the market - as many in here have proclaimed - not my quote. Hence - the American Crafstman window warranty is not even remotely close to being applicable.

- We can however substitue comparable products - if you could find one: as long as they are approved in advance - and mostly it requires the product warranty to be similar to ours and is throughoughly examined and priced accordingly prior to aproval. I've not seen one approval as yet - since there are so many window products out there that really are not comparable in ability to stand up to the one we install.

2. I have read the warranty -- and as in the other post back to your "Sears-pro quo" - I'd be more than happy to send you a copy any time for your reading enjoyment...

3. Companies get bought/sold, go out of business or bankrupt, people retire, move away - So What resources do your customers have in 6 days, 6 months, or even 6 years from now???

If there are further disbeliefes that you would like clarified - please feel free to reply any time...

I remain.
Ck

thd50

#12 Post by thd50 »

RVEXLER wrote:Check the warranties. Simonton does not offer any labor guarantee on their waranty. Certainteed offers only 5 years. If seal failure were to occur (the most expensive repair on a window) then replacement labor costs could run you $100 per window. Milgard, if its available, offers a full lifetime guarantee including labor, done by the factory.

I sell Milgard in Southern California and their response to customer warranty repair requests is outstanding. Within 2 business days, they have called the customer to schedule the repair and within 2 weeks the repair has been completed.
Simonton does not offer labor warranty - they are the manufacturer not the installer.

THD sells Simonton installed - and ramps up the warranty all the way around to include no trip, labor or parts charges - one of the series has accidental glass breakage warranty with free sash replacement -- for as long as you own your home.

Seal failure on THD installed windows is 20 FULL YEARS NON-PRORATED - thereafter a gradual proration to 75 years!

Response time on service is 48 hours (max allowed) - The repair time is one week from the prior tuesday (in our area) - no charge.

Ck

Mass. window guy

#13 Post by Mass. window guy »

to all of you that use subs for install:

read the following article on how the IRS will be deciding whether tou use a true "sub-contractor" or not. Many of you "think" you are using subs and getting all the benefits that go with it the way Ck mentioned. The truth is many of us have too much control over "what" they do, "how" they do it, and "when" they do it. The article definitely opened my eyes.
check it out
http://www.wwwebtax.com/general/indepen ... ractor.htm

Debb4177

Certainteed Failure Rate

#14 Post by Debb4177 »

HipKat wrote:I'd do some homework on Certainteed's.
Consumer reports has them listed near the top of the list for high failure rates
I'm curious what issue you saw the "high" failure rate of Certainteed Bryn Mawr II? I have Consumer Report's October 2000 issue titled "Window Shopping" and it rated the Bryn Mawr window as the top vinyl window and number four overall between all windows. I quote page 44 "...and Certainteed Bryn Mawr II performed extremely well." That was in the section about Weathering the Elements. The last paragraph of the article says "The standout vinyl window was the CertainTeed Bryn Mawr II." Then look on page 45 for the overall ratings which listed this window as 4th. Andersen's renewal wasn't even rated nor was Simonton or Sucho or however you spell it that I've been reading about on this website. Marvin Clad Ulimate was the top rated window followed by Andersen Tilt-Wash, Pella ProLine, then Bryn Mar II. Consumer Reports window analysis prior to this one was in 1993 and I do not know if they've done one since 2000 but assume they have not.

My husband and I are looking to replace 19 windows. I think we got a good quote on CertainTeed Bryn Mawr II at $9,000.00. We also got a quote from Renewal by Andersen of $14,269 but I don't think the price difference is worth it for the value. Andersen claims they have a better window (which doesn't appear to be true based on the Consumer Reports rating), that you don't loose as much window space, and that it allows more light to come through while blocking the bad rays. The other window we've looked at is Thermal Industries but I didn't see it rated at all by Consumer Reports even though they've been around since 1960 and claim they developed the first custom vinyl window replacement window in 1960. Thermal Industries also claims you don't loose as much window space with their replacement window. My husband also likes a lot of the features of the Thermal window verse the CertainTeed window. So if anyone out there has an opinion of quality and durability between the two, I'd greatly appreciate it. We do plan to check out the Marvin Ultimate before making a buying decision.

LINY

Re: CertianTeed Bryn Mawr II versus Simonton 5500

#15 Post by LINY »

Michael wrote:Hello Window People !!!!

We are also on Long Island with a similar need - to replace 19 aluminum frame windows with vinyl (incl. 1 picture, 1 casement, 1 slider, grids in front windows, rest DHs - some single, some double). We got a quote for $8350 for Simonton 5500 from United. Other quotes were for lower end vinyls which we are moving away from.

If Michael's still out there: Wondering what you chose and who the Bryn Mawr installer is. Please tell us how it worked out for you.

Simonton does have a much wider frame than our old aluminum. Is there a noticeable difference in light?

Also we weren't going to add argon, but apparently it's standard on this Simonton. What are opinions on argon?