To bay or not to bay

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
D

To bay or not to bay

#1 Post by D »

I currently have a picture window flanked by double hung windows, approx 111 in.(W) by 53 in.(H). Ive had a couple of contractors out, 2 said no problem we can give you a bay window, and two had said its not possible without major carpentry because I do not have a header board and my soffit is only about 10 inches from the house.( oh and my walls are only of 2X3 construction) Any thoughts on that? I would love to have a bay, but I dont want problems or leakage, and Im not too sure about all that carpentry work(it really adds up) Additionally I would like your thoughts on Gorell and Alside windows. My third guy was home depot...forget him. My fourth guy has a brand I cannot find on the internet...Vinyl Lite, Aspey Series. Any Help would greatly be appreciated as I need to make a decision ASAP...Its getting cold out there..Thanks, family of 6 in the northern suburbs, IL

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Tough call without seeing the framing. Pull off your interior casing at the top and see if the structural header is continuous from end to end or split above each window. If it is split, you will need a new continous header installed across the entire span which means drywall/plaster repair as well as temporary support of the gravity load during construction. The 10" soffit is not a concern as some window manufacturers make bays and bows to spec. You are welcome, Fenex of 1 in the Northern suburbs, IL.

HipKat

#3 Post by HipKat »

Can it be done?? of course. Will it take some extra construction work? yes. Is it worth the cost to have the look that you want? that's up to you. I know one thing. I don't particularly like the brands you named.
If I were you, I'd get ahold of fenex and let him come over and check it out for you.