Simonton windows or Sunrise Vanguard windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
PigInAPoke

Simonton windows or Sunrise Vanguard windows?

#1 Post by PigInAPoke »

Is there a double-paned Simonton window that would compare to the Vanguard window by Sunrise? The Vanguard window I am considering is double-paned with Omega 12 glass (U-Factor .28).

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton windows or Sunrise Vanguard windows?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

9800. U-factor data is not quite as good but very close. Sunrise has a little bit thinner profiles, however, the 9800 has some nice detailing on the frame.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Simonton 9800 Impressions would be utilizing (optional) a non-metal Edgetech Super Spacer, while the best spacer that Sunrise/Vanguard would offer would be from Cardinal as their XL Edge, which I believe is stainless steal?

PigInAPoke

#4 Post by PigInAPoke »

Do Simonton windows have foam-filled frames? When you speak of the "Edgetech Super Spacer" is that what everyone refers to as the "Super Spacer" spacer? If one had to pick between these two windows which one has the better numbers? The better looks?

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I don't think Simonton offers foam filling? I'm sure that they testing their windows with and without foam and the gained performance doesn't equate to any benefit to the consumer versus what they would have to charge to the dealers and homeowners. You are right about the Super Spacer.

I personally like the look of the Vanguard over the Impressions from an appearance point of view. Some may like the Impressions better. I think that Simonton would have the edge in frame and sash strength. The performance numbers would depend on the glass package chosen as both manufacturers offer several options.

It would be neat to have both windows side by side for you to play with

PigInAPoke

#6 Post by PigInAPoke »

If the Sunrise Vanguard vs. the Simonton 9800 Impressions is a fair apples to apples comparison which has the better warranty?

Windows on Washington, if you had to pick between these two windows which would you choose and why?

Delaware Mike, same question for you, if you had to pick between these two windows which would you choose and why?

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

The 9800 window was originally designed for Owens-Corning and marketed as the Owens-Corning Mosaic 9500. At that time to satisfy OC’s desire to see pink foam inside the frame Simonton foam filled as an option but it did little to improve the U factor of the window. Foam filling was dropped when the program with Owens was terminated and the window was branded Impressions.

I always directed people to invest any additional money into an improved glass system. I only had one customer that I could not talk out of the foam fill option.

Bill

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

PigInAPoke wrote:If the Sunrise Vanguard vs. the Simonton 9800 Impressions is a fair apples to apples comparison which has the better warranty?

Windows on Washington, if you had to pick between these two windows which would you choose and why?

Delaware Mike, same question for you, if you had to pick between these two windows which would you
choose and why?

Both companies post their warranties online. Why not have a look for "YOURSELF" instead of asking everyone else to do "YOUR" research for you? Better still why don't "YOU" call a Simonton and a Sunrise dealer and have them come out and show you each window? Then "YOU" can decide for yourself which "YOU" like best?

PigInAPoke

#9 Post by PigInAPoke »

Skydawggy,

If "I" do all of "MY" own research then why would "I" need this forum?

For your knowledge, I did have a Sunrise dealer out. And do you know what example he brought? A double-hung (which is probably what 99.99% of all sales reps bring). I am not looking to purchase double-hung windows. I need Two-Lite sliders, traps and picture windows.

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

I can understand the dealer not bringing a Trapazoid and a Picture window out. Most dealers will have a Double-hung, a Casement, and a Slider in their samples. Did you tell the Sunrise dealer specifically that you wanted to see a sample of the slider? I find it very hard to believe that 99.99% of the dealers you have had come out have brought a double-hung sample after you specifically requested a horizontal slider. How many estimates have you had?

PigInAPoke

#11 Post by PigInAPoke »

I have had 4 estimates where the dealer came out. Two Gorell dealers and one each of Soft-Lite and Sunrise.

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

So, you are saying that when you spoke to all four dealers to schedule an appointment, that you specifically requested they bring a horizonal slider and they showed up with a double-hung instead? What reason did they give you for not bringing the slider?

PigInAPoke

#13 Post by PigInAPoke »

They didn't give me a reason that I could discern. In fact, one of the Gorell dealers wanted to sell me brand new windows for my entire house!

Enough on this topic which has nothing to do with my original question.