What's the better value between these two choices

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
skydog

What's the better value between these two choices

#1 Post by skydog »

I've gotten several quotes for 10 lowE/Argon casement windows, the two most desireable so far seem to be the following:

Anderson 400 vinyl clad for $4800
Solaris vinyl w/painted exterior finish $5300

I'm leaning towards the Solaris because I've never had a good experience with wood casement windows, granted I've never owned a clad window. In addition the wood windows will require painting or staining of the inside at an additional expense and inconvenience. The Solaris then would seem like the obvious choice I'm just not sure if it's a good window or how the finish holds up. Any advice you guys have would be much appreciated.

Thanks

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

The downside of vinyl clad windows is that Vinyl and Wood or Aluminum react to temperature changes at different rates.
No big deal if you live in San Diego, but in a climate like Buffalo, this causes expansion and contraction to have detrimental effects. If wood expands faster than vinyl becomes pliabe in the heat, you're gonna get cracks, for instance.
I would not recommend clad windows.
As far as painting the vinyl windows, what happenes when you paint vinyl siding?? As time goes on, it chips, or develops spider cracks.
Do you really want replacement windows that you have to paint regularly??

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

First of all Andersen didn't smash their way to the top of the totem pole because their product doesn't work. Telling people vinyl clad wood in Buffalo is bad is crazy. Andersen built their product in MN. I'd say it might be a bit colder here than Buffalo. As for warranty with Andersen. They are by far one of the best if not the best in dealing with. I have never had them turn me down on anything. They replace any product that has gone bad even if it's not their problem.
Skydog the issue at hand is what you favor personally. Do you want to paint the interior or worry about the up keep. It's not as bad as people make it! If you don't want this up keep then the answer is already made. Just do your homework and make sure the window you choose is credible.

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

Somehow, after re-reading my post, I STILL don't see the name Anderson in there.
All I Was talking about were vinyl clad windows, in genreal.
I guess that tube of sealant they give you with them means nothing, huh??

skydog

#5 Post by skydog »

HipKat wrote:As far as painting the vinyl windows, what happenes when you paint vinyl siding?? As time goes on, it chips, or develops spider cracks.
Well, the way I understand it is that you can't, or shouldnt paint vinyl. These are factory painted with a so called special paint and process. The finish guarantee is ten years and they can't be repainted by the homeowner........supposed to be a one time deal. My concern is how the factory finish will hold up in real life since the windows can't ever be repainted and I wouldn't want to if they could.

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

I don’t think their is any reason why the window can’t be repainted, it is the paint that is special not so much the paint process. They build the window mask the glass and spray, the same way a car is done. Granted it is done under ideal conditions in terms of temperature and humidity.

It’s our hope that the owner will never have to paint again.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

HipKat wrote: As far as painting the vinyl windows, what happenes when you paint vinyl siding?? As time goes on, it chips, or develops spider cracks.

Hmmm....does this mean you will not sell 2-tone Schuco windows? ( It's in the works for next year)
Personally, after reading about the process, it's durability, and the success of Canadian companies who have been using it, I'm really excited about it and can't wait until it is available. I think it solves the color problems of the past and will give my customers more choice in decorating their homes.

HipKat

#8 Post by HipKat »

Actually, I just heard about the 2-tone yesterday.
I can't wait to see how it looks and if we're going to offer additional colors.

searspro

#9 Post by searspro »

I have to agree with hipkat, in that I have removed several older vinyl clad windows that have split at the seams, especially in MN. Expansion variances between the two materials might be the reason. Once you have a single point for moisture to enter, it's all over. Water inside freezes and thaws, well you know the rest. As far as painting the vinyl, I believe it is possible, this link talks about painting vinyl siding. I assume the facts would apply to windows as well. Why not a solid vinyl window?

http://www.askthebuilder.com/427_Painti ... ding.shtml