PGT Industries and Custom Window Systems

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JenNoCentrlFLA

PGT Industries and Custom Window Systems

#1 Post by JenNoCentrlFLA »

Skydawggy,
Hi. I sent you another post and you never got back to me. I wonder if I replied in the wrong place or something. Now it says you're online here, but I don't know how to find you.

Well, today, I drove out to a window dealer in my town, and they only carried two types/brands of windows. The names of the two companies are two I've never heard of. I wanted to see if you may have heard of them, knew anything about them, etc.

The window brands are, "PGT Industries," (apparently made in North Carolina while the actual company is located in Venice, Florida) and , "Custom Window Systems." The girl told me that they were the makers of both windows (ie. they weren't made by Force V Environmental, etc.) Anyway, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on these. Thanks.

Best,
Jen

Skydawggy

Re: PGT Industries and Custom Window Systems

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Sorry Jen, I'm not familiar enough with those windows to offer you any specific advice. Hopefully someone who is will post.

JenNoCentrlFLA

#3 Post by JenNoCentrlFLA »

That's OK Skydawggy, I did my research and I'm not impressed with either of them, just so you know. Thanks for getting back with me, though. I appreciate your help and wisdom:-)

Today, I finally found a dealer who sells brand names I've seen in this forum. I wanted to ask you and/or anyone else what they thought about Alside's "Excalibur" windows? I'd like to hear thoughts on which windows are better.... Schuco's vs. Alside "Excaliburs?"

I've gotten a quote that covers 16 windows in my home, for $7,033, and this price is without installation. Installation costs another $2K. So, the question of the hour is...

Which window is better??? Schuco vs. Alside "Excalibur's"

P.S. And yes, I know Schuco is now Force V Environmental:-) Thank you

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Force V would definitely be the better choice as long as you understand the issues Schuco has had in the past and that there's no guarantee they have gotten any better. The Excalibur is Alside's low to midgrade offering. Not a bad window and service from Alside is usually pretty good but, for the price you were quoted you can do much better in quality.

JenNoCentrlFLA

My Mold Problem Needs Immediate Attention

#5 Post by JenNoCentrlFLA »

Hi Skydawggy,
I have no clue about Schuco's "issues" or history. Could you please, elaborate? I thought they made the best windows of all and were the largest manufacturer of windows in the world.(?) (I arrived at these assumptions by reading this forum from 2004 to Present.)

Regarding the "Excalibur's," I definitely don't want windows that are less than great. (I'm not sure if I gave you the quote I got, it seems like I did but, now my partner doesn't want to install the windows, so I'd have to pay over 9K, for 16 windows.) Thanks for letting me know! I had no idea they were low to mid range and almost made a costly mistake!

I'm not sure where to go from here, I feel sort of blindsided or like a fish in bloody, shark infested waters. I also know, "A fool and his or her money are soon parted."

I've been trying to do all of the needed research and now I feel even more confused! :cry: I'm at my wits end! I just NEED to get the right windows installed ASAP so I can take care of a severe mold problem that I'm battling. My current 1949 casement windows are sweating profusely, daily, and wreaking havoc on my respiratory system. I have also had a headache from the mold, since Christmas. :cry: Could you please let me know what windows are better in quality? Please, I'm begging you...I am in desperate need of help!

Best,
Jen

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

If I was looking at windows for my home, I would look at

Gorell 5300
Simonton Reflections 5500
Simonton Prism Platinum
Simonton Impressions 9800
Milgard Tuscany
Force V Environmental
Softlite Imperial
Alside Sheffield
Amerimax
Vista Panorama
Greatlakes Uniframe
Greatlakes Grandview 5000

There are other good windows I haven't mentioned b/c I'm pretty sure they aren't available where you live or I can't remember them right now.

As for Schuco/Force V Envoronmental there is a *Schuco Update* thread going on this site right now.

Have you tried the "Request a Quote" feature on this site?

Henry5

Re: My Mold Problem Needs Immediate Attention

#7 Post by Henry5 »

JenNoCentrlFLA wrote:Hi Skydawggy,
I have no clue about Schuco's "issues" or history. Could you please, elaborate? I thought they made the best windows of all and were the largest manufacturer of windows in the world.(?) (I arrived at these assumptions by reading this forum from 2004 to Present.)
Please do a little more research on the Out Of Business Schuco before you invest your hard earned money in new Force V.

After literally dozens of calls from my office
viewtopic.php?t=2029

schuco sold?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1951

Quality Control Issues At Schuco????
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1925

My Schuco Dealer Says I'm Holding Him Hostage...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2097

Schuco Windows
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2346

Schuco windows - question
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2445
http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... &sk=t&sd=a

JenNoCentrlFLA

Re: Thank You to Skydawggy and Henry5!!!

#8 Post by JenNoCentrlFLA »

Just wanted to drop a quick line to thank both Skydawggy and Henry5 for all of their help. I REALLY appreciate everything you've both done for me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! In reply to your question on whether I "requested a quote," Yes, Skydawggy, I just did that tonight. I'm still in the process of researching and I'll get back to you soon to let you know my progress. Again, thank you SOOO much. I can't thank you enough. In addition, it was great to get the list of quality windows that you posted for me Sky. Also, thanks so much for summing up all of the problems Schuco/Force V/Four Seasons have been having with the Schuco windows. All I had read was how good they were. That was the main thing that I gleaned from the hours and hours of reading this forum since 2004 on. So, it was really good to know that things weren't as hunky dorey as I had previously thought. Thank you both for looking out for me. Take care!

Peace,
Jen

jtfoster

#9 Post by jtfoster »

Jen,

I'm looking at the same brands you did. I also live in Florida.

What did you decide? I'm wavering between the Custom Window Systems and Alside Sheffield.