Painted Simonton Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hrmml

Painted Simonton Windows

#1 Post by hrmml »

I recently found out that Simonton's Reflections 5500 series windows are painted. I also heard that they recently discontinued that series.

Does anyone know why they discontinued them?

Has anyone else realized that they are painted?

Are any of their other types of windows painted?

What process do they use to paint the windows?

Has anyone had the paint chip or peel on their Simonton windows?

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Sounds like somebody got a bogus sales pitch. Simonton Reflections 5500 windows are not painted and they are not discontinued. Where did you hear this... a competitor perhaps?

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

The painting of the Simonton Reflections 5500 has been discontinued not the window.

We had painted windows available from Simonton for about a year; the problem was that Simonton put in a painting room to handle a low volume. The demand proved to be higher then expected and the lead times became un-Simonton like, so they decided to pull the option.

They will revisit this again in the future and put in a system that can handle the volume.

Bill
Uneeda Window

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Bill... I think it should be made clear that the windows are not painted but that it was a cosmetic option that was available for other colors. The original post makes it sound as though all Simonton Reflections 5500 white and tan vinyl windows have a painted finish.

hrmml

#5 Post by hrmml »

So if you order Simonton Reflections 5500 windows in colors other than white or tan they are painted, correct?

Do you know what process they use to paint them? My understanding is that painting vinyl doesn't work too well.

Also, I didn't hear this from a competitor and it had nothing to do with a sales pitch.

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

Simonton is currently available in white or tan color through vinyl only; the painted exterior colors have been discontinued.

The painting process was simple, they would build a white window mask off the glass and spray in a paint booth. Basically the same way a car is painted. They have paints available today that are suited for painting vinyl. But for now this option is not available from Simonton.

Simonton has two interior woodgrain options.

Bill
Uneeda Window

WindDoze

#7 Post by WindDoze »

If you are looking for alternate colors on the exterior other than white or tan, Softlite now has something like 13 available exterior colors. Having used the Simonton painted product in the past -- Softlite's has more options than Simonton ever did and it appears to be a better process as well.

Guy

#8 Post by Guy »

The painting process is very tedious on vinyl windows not done in the factory. I have a local Painter who does it for a nominal fee. He always has choice words for me when he's done. It's very time consuming and we remove the glass from each unit before painting. He uses a special vinyl paint that adheres with out cracking. He can do it in at least 100 colors. It's two part paint with a hardener, very similar to the automotive industries "Imron" by Dupont (Jeff Gordon..... Gitter Done). The units I've had done have held their own here in MN harsh and ever changing weather. The oldest ones are ten years and painted Forest Green. I've also done some windows for Mr. Tom Cruise at his lake home to remain a secret. This was when he was still with Nicole and she wanted Mauve. I was a bit scared but they really turned out nice and she loved them! I agreed with Tom that if she was happy, we were all happy!!! So it can be done and even people with unlimited cash can be made happy. You just need the right facility and staff like anything else!!!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Wow Guy.....you satisfied Nicole Kidman?? You can't even believe how jealous I am.

When I lived in northern Minnesota, I had Jon Bon Jovi as my neighbor. Believe me, I would have preferred Nicole instead!

Guy

#10 Post by Guy »

LOL W4U!! I don't know about Jon Bon Jovi next door if he was married to Vallerie Bertenelli (spelling may be an issue). She's a beauty!! Tom & Nicole were good people in every way. I'd hate to have their status and have everyone following me around. I'd go nuts and end up in jail pounding the hell out of some photographer bothering my son!! I'll take their money though!! I don't think many people know how many of the rich and famous have Summer homes here in MN. There's a boat load here!!

WindDoze

#11 Post by WindDoze »

Valerie Bertinelli was married to Eddie Van Halen, not Bon Jovi btw....

HipKat

#12 Post by HipKat »

lol..I was gonna say that....

I don't care. I'd kill for that "attention." I'd eat it up!!!

Guy

#13 Post by Guy »

I stand corrected! I was thinking Dorothy Hurley and pulled Vallerie out of my hat. My apology! By the way Windoze' if your going to have your production manager call me and want to talk with me. Have him call people back. He told me he was acting upon your request and I respectfully tried to contact him about four different times. If it's a joke and all in good fun I'll laugh later. Don't send your staff after me and then have them be dishonorable on top of that. I wouldn't do it to you! So what ever you needed never got the attention you wanted or he was yanking my chain!!

WindDoze

#14 Post by WindDoze »

I'm not trying to yank your chain. I asked him to get in touch with you to see if we could bury the hatchet and maybe settle our differences. I'll follow up on it...he's busy, not dishonorable! Give him a break.

Guy

#15 Post by Guy »

Rusty was always busy but had time to return calls. Don't worry about it, if one of the owners doesn't have time. It must not be very important to resolve. Your comment on giving him a break because he's busy answers my thoughts. I guess my working 60 - 90 hours a week isn't enough. I'll try harder!!