Vinyl indow replacement--which brand? Ack! Help, please!

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
miltonia

Vinyl indow replacement--which brand? Ack! Help, please!

#1 Post by miltonia »

I can't believe my dumb luck in stumbling upon this web site. Yippee! Ok--here's the deal. I'm in Pittsburgh. I have a 40-year old home. I currently have original Andersen windows, but they leak like a bitch. We would like to replace them with vinyl double hung windows, but I have NO clue where to start or which brand to choose. They all seem the same with some variation in glass, etc. Some brands I have heard good things about include: Traco, Simonton, Thermotwin. I just don't know which brand is best. I am looking for blocking out of sound, retaining heat in the winter, and longevity and durablity. Cost is a factor--but I'm not loaded. So i want something affordable and decent--not cheap and crappo. But neither can I afford anything high end. Any ideas all you wonderful window gurus? Thanks so much.

Trav2340

#2 Post by Trav2340 »

I am a homeowner in New Jersey. I purchased a home and had to replace all the windows. My friend who is also a local contractor recommended Ideal window which is located close to my area. I have had my windows for 6 years with no problems at all. My entire house had to be redone. Bay windows, basement vents & your typically DH's...The prices were very reasonable & knock on wood No problems so far!

Tempojjj

#3 Post by Tempojjj »

Hi
I'm also from Pittsburgh and have some 35 year old Anderson windows that should be replaced. It is very confusing trying to find the best deal. I got the lowest quote from Window World on their better window but I don't know how good they are. Sunrise windows cost about $500 more. Let me know if you find anything out.