Info on AMSCO or MI windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
ksw

Info on AMSCO or MI windows

#1 Post by ksw »

I'm adding a room on and the wall with windows is south side. I have had quotes for both AMSCO and MI windows. Any comments or information about either of these companies??

Windows on Washington

Re: Info on AMSCO or MI windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would double check that they qualify for the tax rebate or you are leaving money on the table.

ksw

#3 Post by ksw »

Thanks for the reminder to work towards the rebate. I spoke with AMSCO and they said they could meet the requirements if I went with the 366 and argon. Can you tell me anything good or bad about the AMSCO windows, I can't seem to find any reviews. Also i am looking at MI but have not contacted them about the qualification for the rebate. Do you have any input about MI windows?? Also, I live in Colorado at about 5400 elev. and am concerned about the altitude and the argon. Any comments!

advanced_energy

#4 Post by advanced_energy »

whatever you do,please do not buy an MI window unless you loke cheap plastic with some glass and a bunch of condensation.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you want argon in a window for your home, it will have to be something that is built locally or at that altitude. There are several window manufacturers on the West Coast that can hit that magic Tax Credit thermal number without argon. You live in a fairly demanding climate with the heat, cold, wind, and altitude. I would not skimp on a window and get something that will provide some actual insulation and efficiency. Going cheap on windows up there is borrowing time.

ksw

#6 Post by ksw »

Ok, comments seem to be negative about MI. Do you have any comments about AMSCO.
Also, could you give me a heads up on possible companies from west coast that could hit the ratings without argon. I agree, I really think I would be better off not wasteing my money on argon.

Door&WindowPlus

#7 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I sell both Windows. I am in Southern California.

MI is totally redesigned for the West Coast Market. MI sells a Professional series which was redesigned recently and a Homemaker II product that is getting a new 2 1/4 retrofit flush fin. These lines are made in Arizona for us. Alot of windows sold on the West Coast are different then the East Coast. If you get 366 glass you automatically get double strength glass for the Professional. I sell this window mostly to contractors but do some installs with it too. I sell more Professional. No service issues to speak of.

Amsco has redone their lines too and they are considered a medium grade window going after the Milgard market. Read Amsco's warranty on their website. Amsco does not have a labor warranty. Will just ship parts. The labor falls onto the dealer that sells Amsco. It's a nice window but make sure you get a dealer that will be around to service it if their is a problem.
Studio is the lower end. Artisan is the high end that I would recommend. I don't really sell Amsco because of the warranty issue.

Do some more shopping but make sure you get a good installer. Both MI and Amsco will need 366 glass and argon to meet the new numbers.