Quotes: Soft-Lite Imperial/Imperial LS

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bouda

Quotes: Soft-Lite Imperial/Imperial LS

#1 Post by bouda »

If anyone could share their opinions on these quotes I would appreciate it. We are looking at getting replacement windows ASAP as we have the original (1948) aluminum windows in a brick house we just purchased. Champion quotes us at $9,500. However, we also received several quotes from a window dealer in town who is very respected and has not put any pressure on us. This is are starter home, so we are not looking to put the top of the line window in, as we plan to be in it for 3-5 years, however we do want a quality product. I have read a lot of comments on the Imperial LS on this site and most people seem to agree that it is a good window and seems to fit our budget. Not much on the regular Imperials though (is the LS that much better and worth $25 more/window?) We have 18 windows that will be replaces with double hungs. Now this is a brick house and taking out the originals is going to cost us more then a non-brick house since they have to cut them out. Below is the quotes we received from the dealer and I wanted to see people's opinions on them and what you would do considering our needs. We are located in Indiana. Thanks!

18 double hung

Imperial: $8150 $452 per window (w/$50 removal of each steel window, $25 each upper sash grid + 6% tax)

Imperial LS (base - no add ons): $8628 $480 per window (w/$50 removal of each steel window, $25 each upper sash grid + 6% tax)

Graef Insulator: $8150 (w/window for removal of steel windows, per upper sash grid + 6% tax) - Anyone heard of these? Haven't found much but the installer loves them. Claims the quality control he receives is a tad better then from Soft-Lite.

Gorell 5300: $7970 (w/window for removal of steel windows, per upper sash grid + 6% tax) - We don't like the metal spacers in Gorell and eitehr does the installer.

Windows on Washington

Re: Quotes: Soft-Lite Imperial/Imperial LS

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

No comparison between the Imperial and the Imperial LS. The LS is completely redesigned and the only window of those two that I would recommend.

That LS price is very good for that window.

bouda

#3 Post by bouda »

Thanks for the quick response. I have seen your posts all over the site and wonder what your qualifications are? Dealer? Installer? I appreciate it. Also, have you ever heard of the other brands or recommend them? Do you think the LS fits are needs as a good quality window for a home we do not plan on being in for 10 years?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Dealer and Installer wouldn't really be what I would consider qualifications...well at least not the dealer section.

I have seen plenty of dealers that quote some of the most erroneous information they get spoon fed or make up on their own.

I am a student of this industry and learn something everyday. The Imperial LS is a very good window and will more than meet your 10 year requirement. You will be very happy with that window and at that price, are hard pressed to find a better product. I am not familiar with the Graef window but I do know that the Soft-Lite window is top notch.

bouda

#5 Post by bouda »

Do you have any opinions on the the Gorell? We also got quoted at $375 for the Excalibur, and $425 for the Barrington. Again, with what we are looking for, you would go with the LS, instead of these lower economy windows? Is $50/window a fair price to cut out our old ones? Do you feel he LS with just the Intercept is fine, without the Super Spacer? What makes the LS so much superior to the regular Imperial - I'd like to know details if possible. Thanks again.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Gorell - Typically thought of as a good window but a bit bulky and not usually the prettiest. It would be likened to the Toyota Camry of the car world. Good numbers and well built but a little lacking on the pizazz scale.

Excalibur is not in the company of these other windows and should be priced lower by at least the margin in your quote.

Barrington is a good window but a bit odd looking on the exterior. Have them quote you the Bainbridge and do that comparison between the LS and that window. If the LS is within $40 of that price, I would go with the LS.

LS with the Intercept is just fine. Super Spacer would be an upgrade, but I have seen grid alignment issues with a Super Spacer and grids.

The LS is completely re-designed and can quote specific differences between the two window, however, they are miles apart. The LS has better efficiency numbers and much better air infiltration numbers.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If it were me with the choices you have and the prices you have, the Imperial LS would be my choice.

bouda

#8 Post by bouda »

Thank you both. If anyone else has opinions on this and specifics on the LS vs. the regular Imperial we would appreciate a response.

tdog4871

#9 Post by tdog4871 »

anyone else able to get on the Soft-Lite website? It's seems to be down for days now.....making it hard to research!

advanced_energy

#10 Post by advanced_energy »

thats a very cheap price for the ls and the gorell. i mean cheap....

Window4U (IL)

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

tdog4871 wrote:anyone else able to get on the Soft-Lite website? It's seems to be down for days now.....making it hard to research!
I asked them this morning after seeing your post. Their service provider is doing an unscheduled equipment update.

tdog4871

#12 Post by tdog4871 »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
tdog4871 wrote:anyone else able to get on the Soft-Lite website? It's seems to be down for days now.....making it hard to research!
I asked them this morning after seeing your post. Their service provider is doing an unscheduled equipment update.
Thank you!

bouda

#13 Post by bouda »

There site is back up. We got the LS today for about $450 a window before tax and that includes upper grids and cutting out our old steel windows. Also, the owner highly recommended against any kind of metal for spacers for condensation reasons, so he gave us the super spacer for the price we thought we were getting the intercept for. Thanks for the replies.
Last edited by bouda on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Window4U (IL)

#14 Post by Window4U (IL) »

That's some good pricing for taking out steel windows and replacing them with that window. You're getting a great price as long as your installers are good.

bouda

#15 Post by bouda »

I'm confident in the installer. It is a family business open for over 80 years and I know others that have used them.