Need Advice on Replacement Window Selection

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
paddyoh

Need Advice on Replacement Window Selection

#1 Post by paddyoh »

We are looking to replace 22 double hung windows, all about 64" x 37" We have looked at the following:

1. West Windows: Accuweld III and Dualvue II
2. Softlite: Imperial
3. Thermal Industries American Sentry
4. Vista Elite
5. Accuweld
6. Vytex

All would be Low-E, argon, double pane.

Can anyone give me pros and cons for any of these windows. I am looking to get the best quality as well as energy efficiency. Would appreciate any insights. It is hard to compare not being a window expert
THANKS!

advanced_energy

Re: Need Advice on Replacement Window Selection

#2 Post by advanced_energy »

whre are you located?

paddyoh

#3 Post by paddyoh »

In Maryland near DC

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is your #2 selection an Imperial or Imperial LS. They are very different windows.

Is it wrong if I don't really like any on your list?

paddyoh

#5 Post by paddyoh »

Number 2 is Imperial LS.

It's not wrong if you don't like any on my list. What do you recommend?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Imperial LS is the best in my opinion on that list.

For this region, the Simonton and Okna 500 are also good choices.

If you are just in need of a good, white vinyl window...there are quite a few options for you in this market.

paddyoh

#7 Post by paddyoh »

Thanks for your response. I looked at the Simonton, but liked the Softlite Imperial LS with Super Spacer. I'll take a look at the Okna also.

Would you consider the Imperial LS a mid-range window. I also saw Softlite Elements on their website -- couldn't tell the difference except that Elements had more architectural features.

I do need a good, white double hung window, but want the energy efficiency and now the number to get the tax credit. But I want quality so I don't have to do this again!

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Elements window is an Imperial LS with a slightly different exterior detailing and integrated tilt latches. The guts are the exact same and energy numbers are almost exactly the same.

The Imperial LS would be considered mid to more like high end in the white vinyl market.

paddyoh

#9 Post by paddyoh »

THANKS!!! Very helpful!

advanced_energy

#10 Post by advanced_energy »

i think the "elements" may have an interior design as well thats kind of nice. i do not believe the LS does..am i wrong here?

paddyoh

#11 Post by paddyoh »

Yes, that is the way it looks!

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

advanced_energy wrote:i think the "elements" may have an interior design as well thats kind of nice. i do not believe the LS does..am i wrong here?
You are correct. I knew that I was leaving one out.

dutch

#13 Post by dutch »

paddyoh wrote:In Maryland near DC
paddyoh,

Since you are new to the board, I thought I would point something out that might have slipped right under your radar.

Some of the posters here are contractors (some can be identified by noticing their user names are in blue and they usually say what areas they work in). Well, you hit the JACKPOT! One of the people who answered your questions is "Windows on Washington." Apparently he works in your area. This is one of the most respected posters here and really seems to know his stuff. You can look at one of his posts and click "get a quote" or "contact"--whatever it is, and that is free on this site. I believe another one in your area is "jsmomo"(not positive, so double check). Anyway, he also is very respected here. You have the opportunity of not only asking questions here, but having those people come and answer your questions and do the job.

There is also a general "get a quote" button on the site and I think that alerts all in your area that are here that you are interested in being contacted.

It's funny because some people come here and don't pay attention to this. So they say they live in DC and ask Windows on Washington a dozen questions and get great information, but then apparently go find some schmuch that they never heard of and could never have answered those questions to do the actual work! And notice how classy it is that they don't even tell you that in their posts!

Again, you are very lucky to have at least TWO highly regarded posters that work in your area. A lot of us wish some of those worked in our area!