double vs. triple pane

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tdog4871

double vs. triple pane

#1 Post by tdog4871 »

I've got my choices narrowed down to Preservation and Soft-Lite Imperial LS. Current warranties are the same, both meet the new tax credit.

Thoughts????

Preservation:
triple pane; krypton gas; super spacer; Enerygymaxx 10 glass; sunClean

Imperial LS:
douple pane; argon gas; PPG spacer

jsmomo

Re: double vs. triple pane

#2 Post by jsmomo »

i would go with the triple pane i don't much care for the alside window i think the soft-lite is better quality window

advanced_energy

#3 Post by advanced_energy »

i agree with jsmomo...however,preservation is a good window.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why not quote the Imperial in the triple pane...?

Whether or not the Preservation has all the bells and whistles that it does, it still has a couple of significant design flaws in my opinion.

advanced_energy

#5 Post by advanced_energy »

such as???? the sill?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sill, loss of glass, clip in lift rail, air leakage, and chimney effect to name a few.

tdog4871

#7 Post by tdog4871 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Why not quote the Imperial in the triple pane...?

Whether or not the Preservation has all the bells and whistles that it does, it still has a couple of significant design flaws in my opinion.
I've asked for an Imperial LS quote (or how much more per window) with triple. Overall I like the Imperial LS better, just not sure I can afford it stepping up to the same stuff the preservation has included......which in all honesty could be complete overkill in the Cincinnati area.

Not sure about the intercept vs. the super spacer, and if that is worth the extra cost, although everything I read on here leads me to believe it is.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate the expertise on this site.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the difference is double pane with Super spacer vs. Triple pane with Intercept....that is no comparison. Go with the triple and the Intercept.

tdog4871

#9 Post by tdog4871 »

Windows on Washington wrote:If the difference is double pane with Super spacer vs. Triple pane with Intercept....that is no comparison. Go with the triple and the Intercept.
Ok, that is all still with the Imperial LS. I'm hoping the price doesn't increase by alot as my quote was double with intercept. The preservation was triple with their super spacer.

buddy110

#10 Post by buddy110 »

Windows on Washington wrote:If the difference is double pane with Super spacer vs. Triple pane with Intercept....that is no comparison. Go with the triple and the Intercept.
I concur :D

tdog4871

#11 Post by tdog4871 »

Well, here's my delima.

The Imperial LS windows in triple pane are $650 per window.

The preservation in triple pane are $500 per window or $2700 less overall.

I preferred the Imperial, but not for almost $3000 more.

buddy110

#12 Post by buddy110 »

There's a reason the preservation is less. I will go as far as to say the Imperial will out perform it over time. Alside never seems to do anything all that well, especially windows. The extra $ you're being charged for the SL window is well worth it

advanced_energy

#13 Post by advanced_energy »

what is 3k when your windows will last over 25 years? not only that,what is when windows take up over 50% of your exterior?
if you save 3k today,you will lose 6k tomorrow. why,you will need new windows when the cheaper one's fail. don't fall into that trap. believe me,its very easy for someone to CONVINCE THEMDELVES that the cheaper windows are just as good or GOOD ENOUGH! NOT TRUE !!!!
DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND GO WITH THE LS .

tdog4871

#14 Post by tdog4871 »

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate them and they are a big help. I'm going to talk to the Imperial salesman on Monday.

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

You could go double-glazing on the LS with Super Spacer and Solar Low-e (PPG Solarban 70). This should have a U-factor of around .25 or .26. That should run you a lot less than triple with Krypton. Soft-Lite will also do stainless Intercept if you ask them. I prefer Soft-Lite's Ultimate triple glass option with the .17 U-factor, but so many folks in my area just want to be under a certain price giving our economic situation.