Is an inside install still possible with this?

For those self-installers
wijacket

Is an inside install still possible with this?

#1 Post by wijacket »

Hi there,

I have 13 DH wood windows that needs replacing, and am thinking about going the DIY route. After inspecting my existing windows, I found that the inside stop is behind another piece of wood (I don't know the correct name for that, maybe an "inside frame"?). I attached a couple of pictures here for illustration, one is a regular window, and the other is a window in my unfinished basement. My thinking is that it is going to be a lot of work to remove the trim, this "inside frame", then the inside stop, for an inside install. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Is an inside install still possible with this?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That jamb liner (cream colored piece on the natural wood color window) comes out and the replacement installs up against the back side of that interior stop.

wijacket

#3 Post by wijacket »

Windows on Washington wrote:That jamb liner (cream colored piece on the natural wood color window) comes out and the replacement installs up against the back side of that interior stop.
Oh I see. Thanks much for the help!

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If the unit is not aluminum clad exterior it will be easier to remove the screen stop then stick the replacement unit out and pull it back up against th interior stop.
The above will keep you from removeing the interior casing as well.

buddy110

#5 Post by buddy110 »

anthony wrote:If the unit is not aluminum clad exterior it will be easier to remove the screen stop then stick the replacement unit out and pull it back up against th interior stop.

I'll second that. it looks like you'll have to remove the moldings to get that stop out. Doing it Anthony's way would avoid all that. You'll have to install a new exterior stop and cap with aluminum.

GL

wijacket

#6 Post by wijacket »

buddy110 wrote:
anthony wrote:If the unit is not aluminum clad exterior it will be easier to remove the screen stop then stick the replacement unit out and pull it back up against th interior stop.

I'll second that. it looks like you'll have to remove the moldings to get that stop out. Doing it Anthony's way would avoid all that. You'll have to install a new exterior stop and cap with aluminum.

GL
Thank you all for responding to my questions.