New windows, water under window, behind seal? Normal?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
buckey29

New windows, water under window, behind seal? Normal?

#1 Post by buckey29 »

I had a full house of Schuco windows installed and this is our first rain since then. I was curious so I went and checked a couple windows. Here is what I found.

I unlocked the window, slid it up and noted if there was water under where the window came into contct with the bottom sill (I think thats still part of the sill?).

On a couple windows there was no water, and on other there was on one end only. Its not coming into the house, but I thought the seal touching the sill would keep the water from getting under the window. Am I expecting too much?

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Nothing to worry about unless the water flows over into the house. The seal keeps most of the water out but not all. Under the sash is a pocket with holes that are purposely there to drain the water out of the window. It's called the weeping system. If you open the window and pull out the screen. You can take a big glass of water and pour it in the sash pocket where the sash rests in the sill. As your pouring the water in you'll see where it's draining from on the outside. These can plug up with sheetrock dust and debris. If they don't work a long piece of 12 gauge copper wire will clean it out well.

dballs

#3 Post by dballs »

buckey 29,

I just had Schucos installed and I am having the same issue. It only happens with some of the windows.

I detailed the problem earlier:
http://vinyl-replacement-windows.com/fo ... .php?t=302

handyman19619

#4 Post by handyman19619 »

Hmmm
There was a debate on this forum as to why alside ultra max and sheffied were inferior to others in the frame design of the sills and it was mentioned that because these 2 could allow water to seep into the frames they were inferior to shuco and others. Why ? Well you could not clean out dirt, insects and other debris that might clog the frames weep system.
Shuco and others had a "superior" design and were immune to these issues.
Now I know why. Because you can use 12 gauge copper wire to clean it all out (well not all but most of) because as one person said you cant get to all the mold ,debris, insects, etc. In an extrusion its just impossible.
Let me try to research this statement and document which forum it came from and Ill get back to you (I wont dig to deep) Because it is what was said and the pot called the kettle black and the kettle laughed.

opy2545

#5 Post by opy2545 »

Guy with you living in Minnesota wouldnt weep holse freeze up this time of year?? Why not just go back to slopped sills??

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Great question Opy! Most people think that when they think of MN. Cold & Freezing. All I can say is yes it gets cold here. When it's super cold we stay inside. When I say cold I mean 10 - 20 BELOW ZERO. Then the seeds get cold and staying inside is good for the body.

The freezing weep holes are a myth. If you really think about it. When it's freezing out it's snowing. So the moisture doesn't really get inside. Now if we have the dreaded freezing rain crap. Life sucks and thank god for four wheel drive trucks!!!! Water does get trapped inside and freeze up. Usually if this happens it will warm up soon and drain or just stay frozen until the next warm up. There's never enough water inside to crack the frame when freezing unless the weeping system gets plugged and water dam's up inside. Then I've seen it freeze up and split the frame in half.

Handyman, just to set the record straight. I've never had to clean a Schuco windows weeping system yet. My statement on a 12 gauge copper wire (with no plastic coating on it) is what I use to clean all the other brands. So my post above may be premature on the abilities to clean it that way. Most of the time it's vinyl shavings that were never blown out of the extrusion that plug the weeping system. Since I've never done the Schuco I really can't be sure. So don't come back at someone and say I said so. I'll blame FeneX (he he he)jk

HipKat

#7 Post by HipKat »

Schuco's DO have sloped sills, and when it's freezing cold out, there isn't any water running anywhere.

romr

#8 Post by romr »

Guy, what windows do you have in your house?

RM

Guy wrote:Great question Opy! Most people think that when they think of MN. Cold & Freezing. All I can say is yes it gets cold here. When it's super cold we stay inside. When I say cold I mean 10 - 20 BELOW ZERO. Then the seeds get cold and staying inside is good for the body.

The freezing weep holes are a myth. If you really think about it. When it's freezing out it's snowing. So the moisture doesn't really get inside. Now if we have the dreaded freezing rain crap. Life sucks and thank god for four wheel drive trucks!!!! Water does get trapped inside and freeze up. Usually if this happens it will warm up soon and drain or just stay frozen until the next warm up. There's never enough water inside to crack the frame when freezing unless the weeping system gets plugged and water dam's up inside. Then I've seen it freeze up and split the frame in half.

Handyman, just to set the record straight. I've never had to clean a Schuco windows weeping system yet. My statement on a 12 gauge copper wire (with no plastic coating on it) is what I use to clean all the other brands. So my post above may be premature on the abilities to clean it that way. Most of the time it's vinyl shavings that were never blown out of the extrusion that plug the weeping system. Since I've never done the Schuco I really can't be sure. So don't come back at someone and say I said so. I'll blame FeneX (he he he)jk