Vinyl Replacement Question

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
njz67

Vinyl Replacement Question

#1 Post by njz67 »

My wife and I are replacing 7 old windows in our DE home. We have met with 5 different companies, trying to get the best quality window at the most affordable price. I could use some advise regarding our final decision:

which is the better window and safest company to use:
1. Simonton 6500 from Home Depot (I know the window is good, but have heard scary installation stories)
2. Silverline by Anderson 9500 from Windowman. I have heard about Silverline problems but they all appear to be several years old and my understanding is that Anderson has remedied most issues
3. ONKA (cannot remember model #) from Window Wizards. They gave us the best price but only slightly better than the others. However, they are the only company that installs from the inside as opposed to from the exterior. Why would this be?

If anyone has experience with these windows or companies, i could use some input.

thanks

Delaware Mike

Re: Vinyl Replacement Question

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I would consider none of those companies as "safe." They all use subs, and not usually the good ones. I'll be the first one to give props to some of the more reptuable window dealers in Delaware, but none of those outfits fit the bill. Windowman likes to cherry pick everyone elses quotes and builds up his "Andersen" vinyl window like they are just as good as all of the upper-end vinyl products out there. He has access to better stuff, but doesn't sell it.

I've seen so many of the local Depot jobs in DE, and they make me want to vomit. WW is hit or miss, usually miss. Keep shopping.....

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

I love it when I go to a home where they have had an estimate from HD. Especially when the HD sales rep got frustrated and started talking down other companies. Home Depot is overpriced on the Simonton Windows and has a very bad reputation for poor quality service. Whenever a customer tells me they have had an estimate from HD, I get a big smile on my face and simply say "you are going to love what I have to show you." I don't think I have ever lost a job to HD.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You should definetly look at Simonton 5500 install by a independant.
I too love all the interesting stories I hear about HD.