Could use some advice.

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
midnite

Could use some advice.

#1 Post by midnite »

We are looking to replace 33 windows, most large double hungs, along with one garden window and one very large picture window with a half circle window above it. We are looking for windows that meet the requirements for the energy rebates and do want grids in them. We got quotes so far from:

Home Depot (Simonton 6500's) $21,000
Sears $33,390 (not a consideration)
Window Wizards (Oknas) $22,000

I see from what I have read here that going with an independent contractor is probably the way to go. I have been to Simontons web page, but it only has links to dealers, not installers. How do I find a good independent installer to get a quote from? Will their warranties be as good as Home Depots? Also, we have a family member who works at AccuWeld and wants to give us a quote. All the reviews I read on those windows were not favorable, but all were years old. Are the windows still not up to the quality of Simonton and Okna? Any help would be appreciated! I live in Southeast PA.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Could use some advice.

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most of the dealers in that area do not install but supply only.
If you call one of the listed dealers such as Marvic Supply they can refer you to some of the best independant installers in the area.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are a lot of window supplier and window companies in PA. You should probably keep shopping to get a better survey of what is out there.

Both the windows still in the running are good options though.

midnite

#4 Post by midnite »

Are the AccuWeld windows any good?

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

No! Their manufacturing facility says it all. Out of date and dirty, not to mention disorganized. Most of the Accu-Weld windows are now being sold to the $199 a window kind of outfits. I've installed them and serviced them and they rank right up there with the low-end Silverline stuff.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In the distant past I sold and installed ACCU Weld.
We discontinued using their product ten years ago because of service isuues with theproduct.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

I don't mean to be any kind of repeat basher, and I am not a scorned ex-dealer with them. But, when I revisit some of the projects that we did we them for a few months back around 2004, I can't believe how bad the tolerences are on their so-called upper end products. They have to utilize foam/sponge cheater blocks placed on top of the constant force balances to help stop the air that blows right around the sashes when shut and locked. Also, even with steel sash re-inforcement their horizontal meeting rails bow something terrible. When this happens the interocks don't work right and the homeowner can't get their windows locked. Accu-Weld extrudes their own vinyl, or at least they once did.

I know that their newer windows have Sashlite glazing to help the numbers, but it's like putting lipstick on a pig. Sorry Wilbur.......