Directions to installing Simonton 5500 windows?

For those self-installers
Ales

Directions to installing Simonton 5500 windows?

#1 Post by Ales »

Anyone know where I can get instructions to intall the Simonton 5500 windows? I have a prinout for Lowes Thermastar that I got from ther website. Is this good since the replacement windows are pretty much all the same?

thanks

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Directions to installing Simonton 5500 windows?

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Ales wrote:Anyone know where I can get instructions to intall the Simonton 5500 windows? I have a prinout for Lowes Thermastar that I got from ther website. Is this good since the replacement windows are pretty much all the same?

thanks
Sure. That's the sheet that taught me how to install. You'll be a pro after reading that.

(sorry, ....couldn't resist) :oops:

Ales

#3 Post by Ales »

No one said I was trying to be a pro, I just want to try things on my own and save a little money. I am a first time young home buyer and there is nothing wrong with trying stuff out.

I rather not follow those directions, which is why I posted the question. Now if anyone can really help instead of wasting time, I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

How was I wasting time? My post didn't keep anyone else from answering... Get a sense of humor please.

Direct boring answer: The instructions from any of these will be virtually the same and will teach you how to install into a perfect "wood sash" opening. Anything else and you'll probably be totally lost.

Ales

#5 Post by Ales »

Sorry, I apologize. I think the snappiness on my part comes from reading some other posts on this board and seeing how some window professionals respond to questions from the average (not pro's) homeowners. I guess I was on the defense. Especially when words like Lowes and Thermastar get thrown around.

Again, I apologize and thanks for the help.

oceanengineer

#6 Post by oceanengineer »

Ales

If you go to the Simonton home page if you search the section for contractors you will find their installation instructions.

There is a also a lot of good information on this board on installation in general and you can also google window installation.

The most important thing I learned is that care must be taken to install the windows properly and that you should insulate any large gaps around the window. Most installers just want to pull the old window out and screw in the new one and caulk the edges.

chrisc

#7 Post by chrisc »

You can do it . I did the same thing wth the same windows. Just take your time. Most important things: plumb , level, square and tight fit (but not too tight) measurement is important.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Level is nice but not needed, but square is imperitive.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Go to Barnes & Noble or Borders, these book stores have some pretty neat and some what updated books on windows and doors. There will be sections just on vinyl. The part that is lacking really is exterior stops and capping because of how many different ways there are to handle the exterior casings.