Kansas City new construction replacement window suggestion?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
allank

Kansas City new construction replacement window suggestion?

#1 Post by allank »

I'm needing advice for the Kansas City area. I'm replacing 24 mostly double hung windows, and am strongly considering new construction replacement to avoid future maintenance issues with wood sills (since the siding will also be replaced with James Hardie making the outside low maintenance). What installers / window brands should I be considering? I"m having problems finding good choices (read on).

Most of our utility costs are heating in the winter, with only a few months cooling in the summer. Therefore winter comfort (and air penetration) are critical, as is condensation (or lack of it). Temperature swings are -20F to +100F, which raises concerns about the dimensional stability of the product, and its ability to not leak air or crack the water seals against the siding. Outdoor humidity is very low in winter (<10%) and high in summer (sometimes >80%). I'm also interested in very low maintenance. I've read various topics about clad wooden windows in a high humidity climate that makes me think solid vinyl or fiberglass would be a better choice. But I've also read the opposite, so really don't know (and in fact am confused on this topic).

I've tried to find a Schuco installer, but Shuco USA can't/won't provide me a local contact. I've been put off the Milgard fiberglass line due to problems posted in a forum. My Anderson quote seems pricey for the number of windows.

So can you provide me with any good advice about which brands and more importantly which installers? Everything I've read indicates the installer matters at least as much as the actual product, and in some ways more.

Thanks for you time and comments.

handyman19619

#2 Post by handyman19619 »

How old is your home? What kind of interior openings do you have now?(wood, drywall,etc)
Do you want single hung or doudle hung vinyl new construction windows?
Do you want to increase or decrease any window sizes?
A little more information would help answer your questions.

allank

#3 Post by allank »

Good questions. Constructed 1989. Current interior openings are wood trimmed (either painted or varnished) to drywall. Current windows are cottage style double hung - we like this style so would go with similar. Probably put grids in front and leave sides/rear without grids. Current windows are wood, they look nice but I don't like interior and exterior maintenance, so are looking at vinyl. Most windows are 28" to 36" wide, 60" to 66" tall.

Looking mainly at vinyl due to my perception of lower cost for similar performing product than a wood window. I am prepared to pay reasonable prices for quality products (ie this is not a low cost job), but not over pay. Also due to house selling market in this area it is not justifiable to pay extra just for brand names or slight performance difference.

I now have quotes for Simonton Profinish and Anderson series 400 (more than twice the Simonton quote). Schuco won't return my calls. I notice the Simonto Profinish air infiltration is aroudn 0.2, but not sure what that means from a comfort level.

I will be replacing the siding at the same time with James Hardy cement siding (currently have Masonite) so house will also be wrapped.
Last edited by allank on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allank

#4 Post by allank »

I pulled all the Simonton performance data last night into a spreadsheet. At least Simonton make this data easy to find. That does not seem to be true of all manufacturers websites. I don't know the cost yet, but just from a numbers perspective for up to 32"x72" the 9800 Double Hung Low E (SC)/Clear Argon Super Spacer 1" and 5500 Double Hung Low E (SC)/Clear Argon Super Spacer 1" look good with air penetration 0.08, total U-value 0.31, and center of glass U-value (for good condensation performance) of 0.23. Quite a bit better than Profinish (half the air leakage).

Another forum has suggested Marin or Gorell. So I'll take a look at those too.

Since we will be staying at least 5 years and up to about 10 years in this house, I do not want to have to go through this again just to sell the house! Our current windows are 17 years old and do not open any more, amongst other issues (single pane with storms, air leakage, some bad sills, divided glass and storms makes cleaning a major project, etc). Sometimes I feel like I am living in a disposable house. Its beginning to make renting attractive!

allank

#5 Post by allank »

Shuco corporate called back. Since this info was so hard to find (!), I'll post this for others. Shuco's local dealer in Kansas City, Overland Park, Leawood etc is American Home Exteriors at 913-381-6600. Their website is http://www.aheinc.com.