Alside Ultramax vs. Gorell 5300?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
husker92

Alside Ultramax vs. Gorell 5300?

#1 Post by husker92 »

I am looking into replacing 15 windows and a french door. I liked the Gorell 5300, but the installer told me they raised their prices this year. They still sell them, but they recommend the Alside Ultramax for more of a cost savings (they have a deal with Alside).

Anyone have experience with the Alside Ultramax? How would it compare to the Gorell 5300?

I am having him give estimates on them both.

Thanks for looking

whaas

Re: Alside Ultramax vs. Gorell 5300?

#2 Post by whaas »

bottom line, gorell 5300 should have a 0.09 air infiiltration rate and the ultramaxx has a 0.2.

Of all the windows I saw, the Ultramaxx/Sheffield was the crappiest one....now it might suite your needs if your in a milder climate AND the UltraMaxx is well priced below the Gorell 5300.

Also you lose quite a bit glass space with the Ultramaxx/Sheffield....also, the pocket sill seems to be a bit of a dated design.

I think if you do a search on Ultramaxx/Sheffield you find alot of negative feedback...but it does have its place, ie budget, larger window openings and milder climates.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

whaas might be a "layperson" consumer, but he hit the nail on the head.

damj

#4 Post by damj »

I have quotes for both and am leaning towards the Gorell ...

I'm doing 23 windows

Gorell is at $11,500
Alside is at $14,500, though I would get $1,500 back from New York State, so $13,000.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

That's a no-brainer. The Gorell is a much better window and a better deal. The pricing should have been the other way around.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Window4U (IL) wrote:That's a no-brainer. The Gorell is a much better window and a better deal. The pricing should have been the other way around.
This is a no brainer. Gorell all the way my friend.

whaas

#7 Post by whaas »

From what I've seen your Gorell quote is competitive and the Alside quote is on the extreme high-end. I'm guaging that based on the quotes being close to apples to apples, ie window grids, u-factor, ect.

damj

#8 Post by damj »

whaas wrote:From what I've seen your Gorell quote is competitive and the Alside quote is on the extreme high-end. I'm guaging that based on the quotes being close to apples to apples, ie window grids, u-factor, ect.
Yes, it was apples to apples ... It help that the contractor with the Gorell windows has a daughter that is friends with my wife. Signed the contract on Saturday. Actually, we deducted the wood grain in some rooms (garage, attic, bathrooms, etc ...) and got it down to $10,700.

Funny thing anout this whole process ... all my other quotes were $18 to $19K ... bunch of crooks in my area!

JScott

#9 Post by JScott »

Not so much crooks as your daughter has some pull. Seriously. I doubt there is any overhead or profit whatsoever on your purchase on the pricing. We call it the friends and family discount here and believe me, it is rare in todays market. You should send her and her friend to DisneyWorld.

whaas

#10 Post by whaas »

I wouldn't go that far, guy is getting 23 windows!

But I guess it depends on what glass package and if there are grids.

damj

#11 Post by damj »

I think that alot of the contractors were afraid to touch my existing windows ... they're 1931 steel casement windows and are generally tough to get out, though mine aren't as bad as some others. The contractor I'm going with has done alot of houses in my area and has seen these windows alot. Plus he is a good size contractor so he probably gets a good volume discount from Gorell ...