Certainteed windows vs. Amerimax

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
sprout59

Certainteed windows vs. Amerimax

#1 Post by sprout59 »

Can anyone of you window gurus shed some light on either one of these companies?
I have a pretty good quote for both companies, 7 windows & 4 sliding doors,I live in So. Cal.
Certainteed ( Somerton II with brick moulding) so far has my vote, but Amerimax(craftsman Portrait) came at me with a pretty good price and sales pitch.
Please help me decide, they both offer about the same warranty,I welcome all feedback good or not so good.

Thanks

Skydawggy

Re: Certainteed windows vs. Amerimax

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

You need to provide more details. What size and style windows? What size sliding doors? What type of glass was it? Was it double or triple pane? What other options were included? What type of construction is your home? Does the price include grids? What were the details of the warranty offered? Was any labor included inn the warranty?

sprout59

#3 Post by sprout59 »

The windows are regular sliders,exception is one small single hung, with low e dual pane,with brick moulding, house is Stucco, no grids. Lifetime warranty on windows, not sure about the labor. says it includes a $1500 tax credit.
This includes 4 sliding doors & 7 windows

1 - Slider 8'w X 80" tall (slide to Right)LR door
2 @ 46"w X 76" W/ 16" Temp fixed under 60" tall slider
1-Slider 95" w X 80" tall door
1-47"wide X 34" tall (slide to left)
1-71w X 47tall (Slide left)horiz slide Spare BR
1-71w x 47tall (slide left)horiz slide BR1
1-Slider 60"w X 80" tall(slide left) BR1 door
1-21w x 48"tall(bottom slides up)single hung
1-Slider 60"w x 80" tall(slides left) door
1-59w x 70tall-W/12" Fixed temp under 58" tall slider

Door&WindowPlus

#4 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I sell both Certainteed (which in now called PlyGem) and Amerimax in Southern California. Certainteed was bought by PlyGem and no longer called Certainteed. Did the dealer not tell you this?

The PlyGem Sommerton II will be discountinued in July I believe. Amerimax with low-e2 or low-e3 with argon both qualify for tax credit so make sure which one you are getting.

I would go with the Amerimax since the Sommerton II is going to be discontinued.
Amerimax also has superspacer while Sommerton II is intercept.
Warranty is 20 years labor on Amerimax while PlyGem is lifetime.
Both Amerimax and Sommerton II have Brickmold option available.
Installation warranties can vary in California. One year only is pretty common. If a company does give you a longer installation warranty make sure you get a warranty form, not just something written on the contract.

I would get some more information on both companies and check out their BBB.

sprout59

#5 Post by sprout59 »

Thanks for the tip :D

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Was CertainTeed bought by PlyGem or just the fabrication rights?
On the east coast some one else has the fabrication rights.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#7 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

anthony wrote:Was CertainTeed bought by PlyGem or just the fabrication rights?
On the east coast some one else has the fabrication rights.
MI windows I believe.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

So PlyGem and Mi do not own CertainTeed. They have an agreement to fabricate and market CertainTeed brand.
Who extrudes the lineals? What happens to the warranty of previous CertainTeed owners?

sprout59

#9 Post by sprout59 »

Who is plyGem, do they make a good product? Should I still go with the certainteed/PlyGem, or is this a good time to stay away while they change their design.

What about AMSCO windows? anyone got any feedback on them? :idea:

windowdude

#10 Post by windowdude »

PlyGem now has Certainteed, Alenco, Great Lakes, Patriot and MW windows. A lot of these windows are being re-named and they will all be different lines of "PlyGem" windows. I believe that most of the windows will be the exact same window they are today, made in the same factories, but some product lines will be dropped and the others changed in name only.

Ask your Certainteed dealer about this...they should be able to answer your questions for sure as to whether your particular line of window will live on, be dropped or re-named.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#11 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

The Certainteed window lines in California will be not made after Aug 09. Plygem is going to use their Insulant Builders line as their buiders grade window and the Great Lakes as their good window. The Plygem Sommerton and Plygem Brynmawr can be bought right now really cheap. Homeowners take this into account when buying windows.