Cutting Edge Plus

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Suecinnj

Cutting Edge Plus

#1 Post by Suecinnj »

I am completely renovating my house in Central NJ, with all new windows, but on a pretty tight budget. I know, however, that I should not skimp on something as important as windows. The builder has suggested Cutting Edge Plus. I don't see any discussion on this board about these windows and I wonder if anyone can give me any information/opinions about them. Thank you very much.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Cutting Edge Plus

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you are looking for a new construction vinyl look at Simonton Profinish or Okna 400.

zago

#3 Post by zago »

not a good window..

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Zago, what is your opinion that it is "not a good window" based on? It looks like a decent mid-grade window to me from the brochure.

http://www.alliedbuilding.com/files/ven ... e_Sell.pdf

Suecinnj

#5 Post by Suecinnj »

Thank you, Anthony. I will look into them.

I am interested in the discussion between zago and Window4u on these windows and hope it will continue!

randy

#6 Post by randy »

I am interested in the discussion between zago and Window4u on these windows and hope it will continue!
Me too! However, I wouldn't count on it.

zago

#7 Post by zago »

here it is again: cutting edge is a window made by metal industries that is sold in most of the building supply houses. metal industries are just that;a builders grade window and i would not install them.in my opinion,when you invest in windows,pay a few dollars more for windows that will stand the test of time.of course the install has to be done correctly. Okna is probably one of the best performing windows available and the quality of the vinyl is high grade.its also very well designed.google an okna dealer in your state or some of the others. there are also soft lite,gorell,and sunrise to name a few others. window4u can probably elaborate as well.

Suecinnj

#8 Post by Suecinnj »

Thank you, Zago!

Looking forward to hearing more from window4u. I appreciate all of your comments so much. I have been so lost with all of this.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What are your existing windows, wood, vinyl, aluminum?
Are you doing full tear out or inserts?
Are you doing new siding?
All the above are just a few of the varables that need to be answered for your window search.

greg61

#10 Post by greg61 »

i had metal industries windows before my new windows were put in. they were'nt good windows.cutting edge is metal industies. take it from me,i had the windows only 4 years and they needed to be replaced.i did'nt have an Okna dealer near me so i went with another company but okna was at the top of my list.however,i am happy with my new windows. i learned an extra 1500-2000 dollars is'nt much money if the windows last over 20 years.

Suecinnj

#11 Post by Suecinnj »

Anthony, the current windows are aluminum. I'm not sure what you mean by full tear out and inserts, but if it means what it sounds like, I am doing full tear out. We are actually planning to take the house down to the frame and reconfigure it a little, and that will include new siding.

Greg, thank you for your information. What windows did you end up getting?

Suecinnj

#12 Post by Suecinnj »

After I mentioned the other brands to the builder, he is now suggesting Andersen 400's. Can anyone offer opinions on those vs the other brands discussed in this thread? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Skydawggy

#13 Post by Skydawggy »

Suecinnj wrote:After I mentioned the other brands to the builder, he is now suggesting Andersen 400's. Can anyone offer opinions on those vs the other brands discussed in this thread? Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Apples and Oranges. The Andersen 400 is a wood window. Nice product but subject to the same maintenence issues of any wood window. I'd consider it if he's willing to give an aggressive price.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Andersen 400 TW or WDH?
The Tw is not as easy to tilt in but the air infitration is half that of WDH.
You should still look at Simonton Profinish or Okna with brick moulding and jamb extensions.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What maintance would you expext if it had a prefinished interior?