Boston area replacement window suggestions

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
zuma

Boston area replacement window suggestions

#1 Post by zuma »

The info here is overwhelming for those of us comparing windows. I live in the Boston area where it gets very cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I'd like to get recommendations for windows at some price points. For comparison sake, I'll use a 24x48 double hung window.

Important factors:
energy efficiency
minimum loss of glass
warranty (how long? glass included?)
reliability/ sturdiness

If there's something else I should consider please add it to the list. Please quote price without installation if possible--

Which brands do you suggest in the following categories: (Please adjust if they don't make sense.) Which do you think offers the biggest bang for the buck?

Under $200

$200-$300

$300-$400

$400-$500

$500=$600

Windows on Washington

Re: Boston area replacement window suggestions

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Given that climate and the rigors that the window will have to perform under, I would eliminate everything from $400 down. Price is not the only consideration in that statement, it is just that I haven't see a good quality window (Simonton, Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Okna, etc) under that number.

I would also seriously consider triple pane for your application. It will cost you a bit more but pay massive dividends in the end.

All in the windows in that list above will all meet your warranty and sturdiness requirements. The Okna and Sunrise are probably the thinnest profiles out there on market today so you will get most the glass back. Energy Efficiency and air infiltration goes to Okna and Soft-Lite (Imperial LS or Elements).

zuma

#3 Post by zuma »

So what price range would each of those windows fall into?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on who is selling them. We have an Okna triple pane that prices out right in between that 2nd to last bracket. What that translates into for Boston is tough to tell. Washington DC is comparable in my opinion.

copykatpro

#5 Post by copykatpro »

Here's a little run down I created for Boston area windows based on my experience: My Window Reviews for Massachusetts

You'll find a lot of good options in your last price range installed. Depending who you like and if you choose options like grids or having your sills wrapped you're probably looking at a bit more.

zuma

#6 Post by zuma »

I saw your list of Massachusetts windows earlier and had found it to be helpful. Do you start out choosing a window and then find an installer, or the other way around?

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You can do either. Both are maybe equally important. Usually if you find the right installer he will be happy to install the right product and help you Id what that is for you.

copykatpro

#8 Post by copykatpro »

I think it's much easier choosing a few windows you think you might like and then find dealers. If you just pick dealers out of a phone book or through some service like angie's list, I can almost guarantee you that most of them install similar products like pella and harvey. And I would stay away from from the big advertisers simply because they'll give you a headache.

zuma

#9 Post by zuma »

I saw someone from Alside this morning and an Okna rep is coming this afternoon. Other emails haven't been responded to--and I never got my "free insiders guide" when I asked for quotes from this site.

copykatpro

#10 Post by copykatpro »

I can't believe you found an Okna dealer. I had no luck. I'd like to know what you think when you see them. I picked Sunrise for my house and I hear Okna's are similar. I tried the get a quote button too and the only person that contacted me was Newpro. I didn't know we were supposed to get a guide.

zuma

#11 Post by zuma »

I don't know if I got anybody through the quote button. I got the Okna rep thru the Okna website.

Know anything about Starmark by Okna?

http://www.starmarkwindows.com/why_starmark.html