Cutting Edge Plus

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Suecinnj

Re: Cutting Edge Plus

#16 Post by Suecinnj »

Anthony, I don't know which window he is thinking of. I didn't realize there were the two different kinds, so thank you, I will ask. If your question about maintenance was directed to me, I haven't the slightest idea. I guess that is another good question.

buddy110

#17 Post by buddy110 »

anthony wrote:What maintance would you expext if it had a prefinished interior?
Very little actually. I'm not an andersen fan, but the 400 is a good window. I believe it's a fiberglass pultrusion.

TheWindowNerd

#18 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The frame of the 400 tw on the exterior is fiberex(composite), the sash are wood on the exterior with a poly paint on the wood.
400 WDH is all Fiberex on the ext, both frame and sash.
With the prefinished interior there is little to no maitance.

Suecinnj

#19 Post by Suecinnj »

Buddy,

Even though you wrote that the Andersen 400 is a good window, may I ask why you are not an "Andersen fan?"

Anthony, thanks for the information about maintenance.

cdcinc

#20 Post by cdcinc »

i am a contractor in albany, ny. i use cutting edge windows regularly. i never have a complaint. no problems installing which is a good sign and they are energy star windows especially the "plus" and for the price there even better.

EcoStar Remodeling

#21 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Some of us have a higher standard than "nobody complains". Of course they don't complain, any window is better than the one they replaced. The question is, did they get the best value? Do you know what the structural rating is on your Cutting Edge Window?

ranger

#22 Post by ranger »

Cutting edge is a low end contractor grade window made by MI Windows . No one complains because they are either used in rental properties or sold to home owners who are only concerned with cost opposed to the educated consumer who is looking for maximum energybefficiency and long term durability.

Delaware Mike

#23 Post by Delaware Mike »

My personal view of how most of the general contractors in my area view vinyl windows is that they think most vinyl windows are all the same, except for the American Craftsman and Pella Thermastar junk out of the box stores. "Motor oil is motor oil, like the commercial. I had more than one contractor tell me that "if you want a good window you got to go with Andersen." I don't know how many windows an average general contractor might install in a year's time? If it where more than 500 and most of their income was to come from window sales, they wouldn't be dealing with the stuff that comes out of supply houses.

Decent windows can be purchased from the supply houses. We have several local in our area that have some of the nicer Plygem, Simonton, Soft-Lite Pro/Classic, and Paradigm series. However, most of their sales are the cheapest thing that the contractor can get their hands on if it's not wood clad new construction job.