Silverline, Superseal, or any other vinyl windows for NJ?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
egy

Silverline, Superseal, or any other vinyl windows for NJ?

#1 Post by egy »

Hi,

I'm in search of some replacement vinyl windows for my home and WindowRama has recommended Silverline and Superseal. My requirements are that they must be efficient and last at least 10-15 years. My budget isn't that big too since I'm looking to pay about ~$300 per window (each window is about 78x36) of which I need to replace 5 now.

I've had Pella come by for the initial consultation and was willing to move forward with them. However, they never scheduled a "project manager" to come in to do the actual quote even after contacting them several times. Thus, I'm not too enthusiastic to work with them any more since I'd fair that I'd get the same response whenever I have issues.

Any advice on either brand or WindowRama? Or, is there another brand/store that's better for NJ? I'm open to any brand provided that the windows meets my requirements and the company has good service.

Thanks!

windowdude

Re: Silverline, Superseal, or any other vinyl windows for NJ?

#2 Post by windowdude »

egy wrote:My requirements are that they must be efficient and last at least 10-15 years. My budget isn't that big too since I'm looking to pay about ~$300 per window
I don't think you're going to get what you need for $300/window. Could you maybe do a couple of the windows this year and then some next year? Or just save up and do them all next year? You'd be able to get better windows if you did...

The worst thing you could do here is spend that $300 on a window that won't do what you need it to do.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Windowdude is giving you very good advice. More and more of our business is tearing out low-grade vinyl. Dealers that are selling windows with capping for around $300 a window installed cannot be giving you a quality product. I've seen some real low-grade stuff from Superseal in the past. If you could find a good installer that would give you a fixed labor price that has a lot of window experience that will be able to perform some of your windows now, and be around in a year to finish up might be your best bet. You, or the contractor should be able to purchase a decent Simonton product and with his labor and misc. materials, the budget can stay under $400 per window if you're lucky. Keep in mind that you would be cutting out the middleman (dealer), and that can come at a price in the construction field.

egy

#4 Post by egy »

Let me rephrase that price limit since that [$300] is my price for the window not the labor. I'm thinking that it will be about $400-500 [total] per window installed.

windowdude

#5 Post by windowdude »

You should keep shopping. We installed Silverline years ago and they left a lot to be desired. Don't really have any experience with Superseal. We looked at them a couple years ago and did not pick them up. They in fact reminded me of the Silverlines as far as the quality of the construction. Not to slam either one, there is a market for both but they are what I would call a low to low-mid range window. For $400-500 an opening you can do much better.

egy

#6 Post by egy »

Hi Windowdude:

Which brand and model would you recommend?

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

You may be able to get the Simonton 5500 or a Gorell product installed in that price range.

Both of the windows Windowrama recommended are not that great.

Bill

windowdude

#8 Post by windowdude »

Yes I agree with Bill. Also you might want to look at Great Lakes Grandview and see if any OKNA products are available in your area.

egy

#9 Post by egy »

Thanks so much. I'll investigate all three.

Also, I went ahead and scheduled someone from this list to come out and see the work. He is coming on monday.

windowdude

#10 Post by windowdude »

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :D

windowmike

#11 Post by windowmike »

WOW that's big 36 x 78 I recommend Simonton Prism Platinum or 5500 with one inch super spacer. This window utilizes the 3/4" coil balance, and the stepped sill is strong. I would rather install all at once saving setup time, ordering twice etc.

egy

#12 Post by egy »

The local Simonton dealer stopped by on saturday to show us the 5500. However, based on what he says, the 5500 and 9800 are almost identical windows except that the 9800 comes with a 20 year warranty on the glass. And, the price is just a couple dollars more and well without our budget.

Thus, we're seriously considering them but we would like to see what the other vendor has to offer tonight. We've been told that the vendor tonight may offer Okna windows. And, it seems to be one of brands what was recommended here.

I'll post my decision tomorrow.

Thanks so much!

egy

#13 Post by egy »

I had an Okna dealer come by last night and the price is more than double the Simonton 9800. Thus, I'm gonna go with the Simonton and get a local installer to do the work for me.

Thanks so much for all the advise... I could not have made this happen without your recommendations!

windowmike

#14 Post by windowmike »

Great! Simonton is a great product. Will you be getting the one inch glass with super spacer?
Take the time to interview installer references and visit a job site. you dont want to see lots of caulking it gets dirty quick or sloppy capping. Also ask if window and door foam is used in voids. Installationmasters has a great website listing certified installers. ask what they like in their coffee and for lunch goes a long way towards a great installation. I love when customers move their belongings and prepare for the work. Get a labor warranty in writing. simonton services for the first year any detail thats not perfect which is awesome. keep us posted

egy

#15 Post by egy »

The 9800's were installed over the weekend and we're very happy with them. Also, the contractor did a good job and now we have to wait until winter to see if they were installed properly :))

Thanks for all the advice.

Regards,
Errol