Intercept Spacer vs Super spacer

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
joesat78

Intercept Spacer vs Super spacer

#1 Post by joesat78 »

Can anyone shed some light between the Intercept Spacer & the Super spacer? and which is better and recommended. How much of an impact it may have on retaining heat.

Thank you

Windows on Washington

Re: Intercept Spacer vs Super spacer

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Metal conducts energy at a much faster rate than silicon, polycarbonate, rubber, or plastic. That is the basis behind the advocacy for non-metallic spacer systems. You will get less conduction of energy at the edge of the glass where it terminates into the sash frame. This does nothing for center of glass performance and typically has a very slight effect on overall window performance (usually to the tune of 0.01 overall U-Factor). The different spacer manufacturers will all claim differing seal failure rates but I have yet to see any real evidence that one is particularly better than the other because they all are directly impacted by application and preparing of the surface.

There are some very efficient windows made with metal spacers so I would not hinge my decision on that alone. Some windows need the non-metallic spacers to hit the Energy Star efficiency requirements so that would be a situation where you would need one over the other.

Happy hunting.

joesat78

#3 Post by joesat78 »

Is the Intercept Spacer metal based? I read superspacer is all foam.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Intercept is stainless steel or in some cases an alloy.

A Window Guy

#5 Post by A Window Guy »

Both excellent choices and neither can be considered a mistake, but watch out!
The original Intercept spacer is "Tin Plate" whereas the newer version is a Stainless alloy and far superior to regular Intercept, although all of the above are considered "warm edge spacers". Make sure you know which Intercept you are buying. The thermal properties of Intercept are inferior to Super Spacer, but the Stainless Intercept is equivalent to Super Spacer, due to the fact that stainless steel is a very poor conductor compared to many materials and many other metals. Not all metals are created equally! Aluminum is bottom of the line and Stainless is top of the line. Today, the word "metal" in spacer technology, is meaningless... which metal is the question. Keep in mind, just as you need to know which Intercept spacer you are buying, you also need to know which Super Spacer you are buying because the S-Class Super Spacer is superior to the cheaper E-Class which many manufacturers use.
Bottom line, Stainless Intercept or S-Class Super Spacer - these should be your choices.

joesat78

#6 Post by joesat78 »

Thank You Window Guy and Windows on Washington - this is very informative.
What about the reliability? I know both camps would claim less defects, but speaking from a broad technical perspective - stainless steel should have more longevity and rigid compared to foam... any preferences when it comes to durability?

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

No, that has more to do with mfg QC.

brentwood

#8 Post by brentwood »

a window guy told me most intercept by PPG is tin plated..almost every company that has ppg is tin plated. including gorell i believe.
also what is s class super spacer and c class? what is the difference?

Door&WindowPlus

#9 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Simonton has a both intercept and superspacer available. Superior only has intercept. Energy numbers for both windows are pretty close. Salesman are usually the one that makes up the mind of homeowners. Simonton 7300 and 7500 are manufactured in California.

Simonton 7300 with intercept (lowe3 and argon)
XO Slider U-factor 0.29 / SHGC 0.23
Simtonton 7300 with superspacer
XO Slider U-factor 0.28 / SHGC 0.23

Simonton 7300 with intercept (lowe3 and argon)
Single Hung U-factor 0.29 / SHGC 0.23
Simtonton 7300 with superspacer
Single Hung U-factor 0.28 / SHGC 0.23

Simonton 7500 Patio Slider 6' (lowe3 and argon)
intercept U-factor 0.30 / SHGC 0.23
superspacer U-factor 0.29 / SHGC 0.22

Superior Ultima with interecept (lowe3 and argon)
XO Slider and Single Hung U-factor 0.30 / SHGC 0.21
6' Patio Door U-factor 0.30 / SHGC 0.22

As far as seal failure both are the same. Rarely see a seal fail these days.

thermal99

#10 Post by thermal99 »

intercept now has something called "supercept" which is a stainless stell opposed to being tin plated as most intercepts still are. i made a few calls and not one copmpany said they are planning on offering supercept,all say they are happy with the tin plated intercept which seems to have stood the test of time. from purely a sales perspective,i would want the stainless hand down! especially since you don't have to upgrade or adjuct any machinery on your existing equipment;at least thats what i have been lead to believe.

handyjohn55

#11 Post by handyjohn55 »

We are down to Simonton 5500 and are in the spacer debate. The Intercept is the older, aluminum/tin U-channel and we don't want that. The SuperSpacer has been around for a while and is a successful all foam spacer. The new Supercept is a combination of the two ideas. It has a stainless steel U-channel surrounded by a thin sticky foam layer. This seems to make sense to me but I have no experience in the area. I'm having a hard time finding specs, opinions, etc. because I thought it was new but the list post on this string was from 2007. There should be more experience out there now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Door&WindowPlus

#12 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

handyjohn55 wrote:We are down to Simonton 5500 and are in the spacer debate. The Intercept is the older, aluminum/tin U-channel and we don't want that. The SuperSpacer has been around for a while and is a successful all foam spacer. The new Supercept is a combination of the two ideas. It has a stainless steel U-channel surrounded by a thin sticky foam layer. This seems to make sense to me but I have no experience in the area. I'm having a hard time finding specs, opinions, etc. because I thought it was new but the list post on this string was from 2007. There should be more experience out there now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Both have a good track record. But Milgard did discontinued using the superspacer because they were having lots of problems with it. I'm in California so they might still use it other places. Now they have the supercept and charge the same.

Simonton offers intecept, superspacer and supercept now. Superspacer gives them the most problems I am told but they will never get rid of it because some of their private label dealer sell the white superspacer option. In my opinion you pay more for the Supercept and Superspacer but don't really get a big energy savings. For my customers it comes down to personal preference and budget. If you have 20+ windows and a few patio doors most of my customers get the intercept option and save a bunch of money. I see most Simonton dealers only sell the intercept since its the cheapest.

marshray70

#13 Post by marshray70 »

Metal expands and contracts, foam doesn't. There is no comparison in performance and efficiency between the two. Anyone telling you different, is a fool. NFRC states inside glass temp (0 outside/70 inside) Super Space is 17 degrees warmer against aluminum and 13 degrees warmer against Intercept. FYI.....in the window business 24 years, installer, serviceman, production manager, salesman, sales manager, owner., 20,000 in home presentations!

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

marshray70 wrote:Metal expands and contracts, foam doesn't. There is no comparison in performance and efficiency between the two. Anyone telling you different, is a fool. NFRC states inside glass temp (0 outside/70 inside) Super Space is 17 degrees warmer against aluminum and 13 degrees warmer against Intercept. FYI.....in the window business 24 years, installer, serviceman, production manager, salesman, sales manager, owner., 20,000 in home presentations!

Are you saying that Cardinal Glass (probably the most innovative glass manufacturer) is making a crap spacer then because they use a metal spacer?

What about the claims that the Super Spacer has issues with grid alignment and holding on to the tangs of the grids?

dkhardware

#15 Post by dkhardware »

The Intercept spacer is not exclusive to the window world (or anyone else for that matter) as it is the most widely used spacer system by far. Unfortunately, the primary reason for this is because of its low cost. I'd recommend either the stainless steel upgrade or the super spacer or Duralite spacer systems for superior thermal performance.