window replacement in austin, texas

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
matt88

window replacement in austin, texas

#1 Post by matt88 »

first off, this site is awesome... now the specs - i bought a house built in 1930 last year and i'm finally ready to replace the single pane wooden windows original to the house (some of the glass is taped into the frame). looking for 14 long lasting vinyl windows that are energy efficient (low e and argon gas) and aesthetically pleasing. bids thus far are for simonton prism bronze from allied windows for a little over $7,000. series 4000 dh windows from window world for a little over 4 thousand, alenco 1100s for $7,400 and comfort 365 degree windows from champion for $9,000. after researching all of these brands it seems like all of the customer reviews very widely and i don't know whose opinion to trust. any thought? thanks in advance.

randy

Re: window replacement in austin, texas

#2 Post by randy »

Hey Matt,

Simonton makes good windows, but the bronze is not what I would consider to be a premium product. I didn't know that Allied had an office in Austin.
Alenco should be avoided no matter what.
Window World sells a poorly designed window (Alside) and uses crews that will work for nothing. Wouldn't recommend them unless it's a rent house or a flipper.
Champion has a poor reputation, but I'm not familiar with their products.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Wouldn't get the Prism Bronze as it is the entry window in that series and the equivalent to the Reflections 5050.

Looks like Randy beat me to the response as a scroll down but +1 on all his thoughts.

matt88

#4 Post by matt88 »

is there something you would recommend in the "under 10 grand" level of windows?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Skies the limit with that kind of budget...i.e. $700 a window. You should be able to get whatever your heart's desire is in vinyl for that kind of money.

matt88

#6 Post by matt88 »

looking for that price with installation.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I understand. You will have your pick of the litter with that kind of budget. Up here in DC, with is typically a more expensive market than your area, you could get the most load vinyl window they make for that price and below (triple pane, Simulated Divided lights, installation, foam filling, etc, etc.)

I am not really familiar with what good brands are available in that area but Randy will know better.